Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought my second Tundra. Had the first one for 12 years. The new one is a 2017 SR5 with 6.5' bed and bed rails.
What is the best cover? preferably not soft.

·
Registered
13,535 Posts
This all depends on usage.

I wanted a semi-rigid cover. I went with an Advantage Hard Hat. It is hard underneath, but still soft on top. Tri-fold design.

One was damaged, possibly in shipping. One had threads sticking out. I will admit I am very picky.

Since getting one that was 100% to my satisfaction I am happy.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I recently bought my second Tundra. Had the first one for 12 years. The new one is a 2017 SR5 with 6.5' bed and bed rails.
What is the best cover? preferably not soft.
I went with an Undercover Flex on my 2017 DC SR5 with factory installed OEM bed rails. Here's a link that may be of use: http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-parts-accessories-exterior-mods/582754-help-me-choose-bed-cover.html

It's been about 14 months and I'm extremely happy with the cover. The drain tubes are installed but honestly, mine is about 90% leak proof even torrential rain. Frankly, the small amount of water that comes in may even be from when I lift the lid after the rain :)

So far, my only concern is that the rear latches have started to rust. Purely a cosmetic issue right now but eventually I'll probably need to replace them. Considering the outstanding form and function of the cover, I consider the issue to be really minor.

If I had to do it again, I'd get the same exact cover!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Well its been a year now and the lopro that i got continues to do the job. I wanted a softtop that could roll up when i needed to and pretty sturdy in 75-80mph on the highway.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I went with the Fold-a-Cover, it was the only folding tonneau cover I could find, other than the Diamondback, that couldn't be opened in two seconds with a coat hanger. It was the only one under $1k for sure.

Pros: Folds open from the front or back and has four sections so it locks open with 3/4 of the bed open, and folds flat when locking open so you can still see out the back. More secure than 99% of the lighter duty folding tonneaus out there. Still removes fairly easily with a small wrench if you need the whole bed temporarily. Locks front and back independently, and a tool box is available that fits under the front. Priced competitively with the BakFlips and similar.

Cons: Not 100% waterproof, I get very small trickles in big enough rain storms. Not much, and only at the corners, but it's there. It dimpled in a hail storm, not sure I can complain much about that but it's there. They don't sell through dealers, direct only, so you'd have to pay extra for install if you need it(I put mine in, not a big deal).

FYI I don't get paid or have any affiliation with the company. I think I'm one of the few on here who have one.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I went with the Fold-a-Cover, it was the only folding tonneau cover I could find, other than the Diamondback, that couldn't be opened in two seconds with a coat hanger. It was the only one under $1k for sure.

Pros: Folds open from the front or back and has four sections so it locks open with 3/4 of the bed open, and folds flat when locking open so you can still see out the back. More secure than 99% of the lighter duty folding tonneaus out there. Still removes fairly easily with a small wrench if you need the whole bed temporarily. Locks front and back independently, and a tool box is available that fits under the front. Priced competitively with the BakFlips and similar.

Cons: Not 100% waterproof, I get very small trickles in big enough rain storms. Not much, and only at the corners, but it's there. It dimpled in a hail storm, not sure I can complain much about that but it's there. They don't sell through dealers, direct only, so you'd have to pay extra for install if you need it(I put mine in, not a big deal).

FYI I don't get paid or have any affiliation with the company. I think I'm one of the few on here who have one.
I picked a new Fold a Cover off Craigslist for half price a few months ago and got it installed a few weeks ago. So you're not the only one anymore! Bummed to hear about the hail resistance though. That was one of my main concerns since it hails here all the damn time. All in all, I really like it. Do you have the tailgate weather strip? Wondering if that's worth it or not.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I picked a new Fold a Cover off Craigslist for half price a few months ago and got it installed a few weeks ago. So you're not the only one anymore! Bummed to hear about the hail resistance though. That was one of my main concerns since it hails here all the damn time. All in all, I really like it. Do you have the tailgate weather strip? Wondering if that's worth it or not.
:beerchug:
Cool! Make sure to re-check the alignment in a little while to make sure it's settled in the way you want. I have the weather strip but I've never installed it. I'll get around to it eventually, I think it would help a bit for wind-driven rain while parked. Most of the stuff I put back there is water-resistant for now so I haven't been too worried.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts