Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a fairly new Tundra owner. I have a 2010 RW CrewMax. I took the truck to the Toyota Dealer close to my house for its first oil change today. I knew Synthetic Oil is more expensive but I didnt expect it to cost 73 bucks.

This was with a 10$ off coupon printed from the dealers website.

Dealer also stated that the truck takes 8 qts of oil. I went back and double checked and it supposed to take 7.5. So they are probably charging me for .5a quart extra. I should have known what the manual stated prior to going in. Thats my fault and I will know next time.

So what do you guys pay? (if you dont do it yourself)

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
40.00 @ the dealership. For Synthetic. My wife's Camry is 9.99.

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Fixed that for you....

8 quarts of synthetic German Castrol 0w-30 ~$56
OEM oil filter -$4.50
6 Miller High Life - $.60

1 hour of my time in my driveway - free

The feeling of accomplishment and knowing the job was done right, and complete -priceless :D
...but that is right in line with what I would say as well but I use Mobil1 Synthetic :D

·
Banned
1,853 Posts
I had 1 oil change done at a dealership a long time ago (before I grew the balls to do it myself), and I think I paid $70-80.

Had a few oil changes done at my favorite indy, was usually around $50.

You can get the oem filters for as low at $4.50 or so, and some cheap synthetic Mobil 1 for around $5-6/qt. So, you can do it for as low as $45 or so....and cheaper than that if you use dino juice.

·
Banned
1,853 Posts
I would like to do it myself and probably would if I didnt have to deal with the skid plate.
3 small screws and 5 bolts secure the skid plate, that's it. Takes a couple minutes to remove them all, and a couple minutes to put them all in.

The biggest complaint seems to be the hooks at the front of the skid plate. 30 seconds with a cutting disc and that problem is permanently solved :D

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have my Tundra on a 3 year lease. The first two years my oil changes are free. I'm thinking I'll just have the dealership do the last two. I may do them myself. If I do I plan on using my storm shelter in the garage as a bay and park my truck over it.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
40.00 @ the dealership. For Synthetic. My wife's Camry is 9.99.
That's with Toyota oil, right?

My dealership quoted me two prices. Toyota synthetic for forty something and fully synthetic (Mobil 1) for ninety something. They explained to me that Toyota synthetic is half-way synthetic (I am not sure what that means though), hence cheaper. I just purchased Mobil 1 0w-20 from Walmart and took it to a local shop and they changed it with a Toyota filter and total price came to be cheaper than at the dealership.

·
Registered
12,794 Posts
That's with Toyota oil, right?

My dealership quoted me two prices. Toyota synthetic for forty something and fully synthetic (Mobil 1) for ninety something. They explained to me that Toyota synthetic is half-way synthetic (I am not sure what that means though), hence cheaper. I just purchased Mobil 1 0w-20 from Walmart and took it to a local shop and they changed it with a Toyota filter and total price came to be cheaper than at the dealership.
My dealership quoted me three prices.

$40 ~ if they did the work

$50 ~ if I wanted to watch

$100 ~ if I wanted to pitch in and help

I ended up doing it BAD~DAD'S way . . . I crawled under the Tundra and knocked it out myself in the comfort of my own garage. I just love saving money and doing some simple maintenance on my rig. :)

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
RU,

I had a funny thing happen 2 weeks ago regarding an oil change at my now former dealer.

They had a coupon on the web site for $34.99. I printed it out and took it in. Gave it to the writer and went and sat in the lounge. He mentioned that synthetic increases the price $7. Not a problem.

I didn't pay any attention to the bill when I signed it, but when I get home and punch holes to place it in my vehicle log I noticed the price. $59. How did $42 become $59? Shop Labor it said was an extra $12.

Either they didn't apply my coupon or they tack on the $12 as part of the disclaimer on the coupon.

I spent $3,000 in their service department last year (bilsteins, timing and serp belts, water pump, spark plugs, cabin fan motor).

When they sent me a survey for the oil change I let them know that they'd seen me for the last time over that $12 lie.

Reactions: MetalMonkey

·
Registered
12,794 Posts
8 quarts of synthetic German Castrol 0w-30 ~$56
OEM oil filter -$4.50
6 Miller High Life - $.60

1 hour of my time in my driveway - free

The feeling of accomplishment and knowing the job was done right, and complete -priceless
...but that is right in line with what I would say as well but I use Mobil1 Synthetic

Did I read that right ~ 6 Miller Low Life beers for $.60 ?

The last time I bought beer @ $.10 / can I was in the USAF Stationed at Da Nang AFB as an Airman 1C.
That's a great deal ~ Where do you shop anyway?

·
Banned
1,853 Posts
I lied...I did drink some miller high life :banghead:

Was sweating my ass of making some repairs, and yard work out of town a while back, and decided I needed a reward, since I did the crap myself instead of paying someone. Went to the gas station for some natty lights, and saw these jewels in the beer cooler...pint beer cans with harleys on them! Had to get it.

Any beer is good when you're sweating your balls off...

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
I will take that as your apology for throwing me under the proverbial bus :rolleyes:

I lied...I did drink some miller high life :banghead:

Was sweating my ass of making some repairs, and yard work out of town a while back, and decided I needed a reward, since I did the crap myself instead of paying someone. Went to the gas station for some natty lights, and saw these jewels in the beer cooler...pint beer cans with harleys on them! Had to get it.

Any beer is good when you're sweating your balls off...

1 - 20 of 60 Posts