Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
10,631 Posts
Unlikey to happen for any great duration of time. The current barrel price of $92.27 is comparable to the production cost of producing crude oil from shale at $95/barrel which is quite abundant in the northwest U.S.

If prices remain where they are I don't see any reason other than politics as to why they shouldn't start stepping up production to help make us completely independant of foreign oil outside North America.
The idea is to use up every other country's reserves, then use your own.

·
Cereal Killer
20,307 Posts
I read the magazines for half ton shootouts. Straight to the data panels for the quickest 0-60 and quarter mile times, place the order the next day. Did that when I was 20, will do that when I am 70. :yesnod:

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
will do that when I am 70. :yesnod:
Creo, I didn't think you were almost 65 years old and close to retirement with 2020 being 5+ years away; I pegged you at somewhere around 52-55.

Am I misreading your statement or is it time to mix in the old jokes with fat ones? >:D

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Few hybrids are worth the premium price...not to mention expensive battery replacements in 4-5 years. That kind of thing just keeps you in the vehicle "depreciation zone" with necessary new purchases.
Not sure about that. We have an 02 Prius at work that averages 46mpg and has not had the batteries changed yet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
Few hybrids are worth the premium price...not to mention expensive battery replacements in 4-5 years. That kind of thing just keeps you in the vehicle "depreciation zone" with necessary new purchases.
Not sure about that. We have an 02 Prius at work that averages 46mpg and has not had the batteries changed yet.

It's all relative. Batteries have a finite time they can charge/discharge. High city mileage use would put it through the most cycles since it uses the gas engine primarily on the highway from what I've read. Also, the price has come down to $3K+ (maybe less since it was a few years back) to replace them in the Prius from someone who told me he had his replaced just before the end of the 100K warranty at 90K miles.

·
Premium Member
8,113 Posts

My statement was based purely on the experience of 2 friends that owned them. I'm sure there are exceptions. They both "took it in the shorts" with those purchases.

There are a lot of factors to consider to see if the payoff is there and how far you have to drive to get it.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
My statement was based purely on the experience of 2 friends that owned them. I'm sure there are exceptions. They both "took it in the shorts" with those purchases.

There are a lot of factors to consider to see if the payoff is there and how far you have to drive to get it.
I see. Battery replacment is definitely something to think about if purchasing used or plan to keep for more than 8 years or 100k when the warranty on the batteries runs out. Your post made it sound like a change interval rather than a life experiance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I plan to drive my new 2014 Tundra well past 2020. My last vehicle lasted 17 years and I was lucky to get that from one of the big 3.
I believe this Toyota will last longer than my previous truck. :D

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
If you were willing to chance it on a Dodge/Ram/Fiat/Whatever the hell they are now, and their history, why would you be scared by a GM?
Truth, but most of the Ram is parceled out to people who aren't controlled by Dodge. After reading forums and Car & Drivers C7 blowing up due to "metal shards" entering the engine through failed oil filters, I'll wait until they figure the LT1 out. I want a base Z51 with that new 8 speed auto that is supposed to be great. Maybe in a couple years.

I've blown enough engines in one year to not want it happen again, under or not under warranty with my Ford. Even though one was my fault.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts