Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a Jayco ultra light that weighs 2580lbs, a dry hitch weight of 350lbs and a gvwr of 3500lbs and measures 18'6" long. I've got a 2016 5.7 SR5 crewmax with a 2" ball hitch rated to 6000lbs. Any suggestions?

Edit: I was wrong on initial specs, but it's still close. I pulled this off of jayco website:
Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) 2,785
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) 395
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) 3,500
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) 715

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Is that a pop up or is it only like 12 ft long? Otherwise, I'm seriously doubting it's that light, you might want another look. The 20 ft hybrid I sold weighed 1000 more than that.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Just don't over load the camper- a lot of info out on the web with a lot of these single axle campers being very limited on cargo and causing major problems on tires due to being overloaded.

I wonder if the cargo capacity number is any good since the manufacture doesn't include options as in A/c,batt,propane.

Wind resistance is your problem "you'll never know its back there" is just silly, you may still get some sway due to passing vehicles and weather. (I would recommend a cheap friction sway control). Go to etrailer.com
MPG less than 12mpg....Keep it under 65Mph...
Mirrors is up to you...

I tow a Forest river 19RR 24ft long and it will sway-friction sway helps a lot, XL tires made even more of a improvement.
My mpg was around 8 and with the XL tires it's now almost 10, so P rated tires can be a problem.

Good luck

Attachments

Reactions: theoat

·
Registered
1,172 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Load your trailer properly(not overloaded and a roughly 60/40 split for weight in front of the axle/behind the axle) and you shouldn't have any problem. I just did a 7k mile trip with my rpod without any sway control and only had minor sway issues when the speed got over 75.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you stay within the 3500 pound axle limit, that’ll be an easy, easy tow for the Tundra. Heck, the Highlander is rated for 5000#. Several of the smaller compact SUVs are rated at 3500#. That said, you can’t be too safe when towing. If it makes you feel better, grab the sway bar set up, but I don’t think you’ll need it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.