Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Cereal Killer
20,307 Posts
The inexpensive aftermarket kits are all pretty much the same, made by these folks --->

That said, you can use them just fine if you treat them as a consumable, just like a set of tires etc. In other words plan on replacing them on a regular basis.

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
I'm using DDM tuning 5K and haven't had a problem yet. I have them in highs, lows and fogs. The color goes great with my white plasma halos. Here are the low and fogs numbers

Order Items
QTY Item Information Item Number Price
DDM HID Kit, 35W, H10, 5000K
Bulb Color: 5000K
Bulb Type: H10/9145/9140
Wattage: 35 Watt
DDM35W.H10.5000K $30.00
DDM HID Kit, 35W, H11, 5000K
Bulb Type: H11
Bulb Color: 5000K
Wattage: 35 Watt
DDM35W.H11.5000K $30.00

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up going with these just because they're shipping is faster than DDM tuning.

Wholesale Single Beam HID Conversion Kits/Headlights

For 55w lows, 35w fogs, and a relay kit, both places were right around $100 shipped.

If DDM had their raptor ballasts in stock I would've bought them but I think they only sell the slim ballasts now and I've had one of those die on me.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
I build FJC Hid headlights and I only use the Morimoto parts from theretrofitsource.com.
They have good products, excellent customer service and longer warranty (3-5 years).

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
add another for retrofitsource just make sure you buy two extra H11 and 9005 male connectors to make it a total plug and play kit so you dont have to use the relay kit and have to put the two spade connectors in the oem harnesses and electrical tape em.

·
I Kick Hippies
1,274 Posts
Morimoto here as well, have run DDM's too. Both are/were very reliable, but the Morimotos reach full intensity MUCH faster and they're built a lot tougher.

IMO, what makes the biggest difference is whether you're dropping HID retrofit bulbs into your stock halogen housings (spraying light everywhere) or installing actual HID projectors (focused light output).

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Morimoto here as well, have run DDM's too. Both are/were very reliable, but the Morimotos reach full intensity MUCH faster and they're built a lot tougher.

IMO, what makes the biggest difference is whether you're dropping HID retrofit bulbs into your stock halogen housings (spraying light everywhere) or installing actual HID projectors (focused light output).
I'm using the stock housings but I'm going to aim them low as well. The fogs will only come on when I'm out in the country. :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
DDM sucks! I tried three sets, all a different prob, I bought Kensun off amazon and used relays, I really like them and the color is dead on what I wanted more expensive but side by side you can tell the kensun are a higher quality kit

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
471 Posts
I've had the same set of 35w DDM's for about 3 years now, still no issues

·
"BHLM Master"
3,232 Posts
DDM- they obviously don;t work for everyone though

·
Registered
28 Posts
re

Depends what you want as end result.
I've done a few recently to get what I specifically wanted.
1st went with all DDM's, they aren't the easiest to deal with since it seems everything comes from China but if you aren't in a hurry the ordering online is fairly straightforward. Personally, I had them in for a week but knew after 1 night I didn't like them. They were blue. I feared that would be the case so I got both 5k and 43k bulbs. I switched to the 43k and they still had blue and it was just too much for me. Took all of it out and then went with Mori's from TRS. Much improved in color. Also TRS had people answer the phone who were knowledgeable and helpful. They assured me that I would be happy with the color of the lights and I was. I have had them in for several months zero issues. They were pounded by a snowstorm I drove through all night plowing and they never skipped a beat. I know they got soaked, There was no way to avoid it but they were fine. I went with the Relay harness instead of the converter thing. I've had no issues. They fire every time. Take about 10-15 seconds to get real bright but I expected that. If you go with relay harnesses for all the bulbs, (low, hi, fog) you may run into a bit of a space issue but its not impossible (and I have a ton of stuff in front that most don't). If I did it again I'd probably try the converter style as I've heard they work well too.
The Mori's cost more and I cant speak for the DDM longevity but if you are looking for a true "white" I'd stay away from DDM. A friend had DDM in his tundra and they are the 55w. I will say they are amazingly bright but when parked next to each other he is the first to admit that his are blue and mine are white.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Have installed 3 sets of DDM and not 1 issue so far.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts