Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Whats up guys. I am in the market for HIDs but there are so many out there one would worry about buying the wrong or cheaper ones. I dont mind spending the extra dollar as long as its a good product. I see most of you put the DDM ones in. Sorry for a novice question but is DDM the brand? Where do you purchase these?

Also I would love to install some Halo's to go with HIDs but just about every posting says unless I want damange done then to not do this. Are there Halo's out there which already equipped and made to use HIDs with? Please send me some links and feedback would love to buy a pair for x-mas or put this on my list :D
just type in V-LEDS.COM | LED Dome, Map, License Plate, Reverse, DRL, Turn Signal, Brake Lights i couldnt be happier with the product. i have low beams and fogs in 5k 35watt.

·
Registered
150 Posts
DDM "cheap ass" Raptor kits, as the OP called them is what I'm running. I think its been proven already that the cheaper raptors actually work better. The only reason the other kit is more money is the smaller ballasts. I couldn't believe the quality of the DDM Raptor kit for only $25! The ballasts seem very robust. I installed 35 watt 5k's in the headlights and 35 watt 3k's in the fogs. I can't imagine running 55watters. I feel bad for people in cars that are in front of me at stops! The 35 watt HID's are crazy bright compared to the OEM halogen bulbs.
yea the raptor kits are actually more reliable and seem to hold up better. out of the 20 sets of ddm hid's i have purchased over the past couple years i have not had any problems out of the raptor ballasts, i have had to replace 3 digital ballasts..the ddm raptor kit is the best bang for your money if you have room for the bigger ballast.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
55W 6k DDM's for lows, stock high beams. Soon to have a mess of Rigid Industries LED bars in new custom bumpers...:D

I just purchased a 55W 5k DDM kit for my Super Enduro,, we'll see how she works when I get it installed.

Sorry for a novice question but is DDM the brand? Where do you purchase these?
DDM are purchased through DDM Racing's web site. So far they have been top notch in all of mine and all of my friends rides,,, Trucks, Bikes ATV's. They also come with a lifetime warranty,,, even on the bulbs,,, so keep your receipt.;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I'm guessing not to many people have the Halo kits? It's a bummer I really love the way they look but haven't found anyone that loves them. Also the fact that you can't use HIDs with them is a big let down.

Quick question guys any difference between 55w vs 35w ? I mean I'm guessing 55 is brighter but does it heat up more or burn out faster? Also not sure how cops are in LA but any of you had issues with cops giving you a hard time about 55w HIDs?

Let me know I really want to do my research before I go ahead and purchase a pair myself.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Also not sure how cops are in LA but any of you had issues with cops giving you a hard time about 55w HIDs?
I'm not in CA, so I can't say anything about the Police there. Here in AZ I have not had one problem with the 55W HIDs. I aimed them correctly after install and don't ever get flashed from other drivers,,, ever. I've not had one issue with the DDM 55W lows in my truck function wise, or complaint wise.

My truck is lifted,,, so at stop lights the Honda accord in front of me gets blinded,,, but they got blinded with my Halogen bulbs too,,, so not really a difference as far as I'm concerned.

The 55w will be brighter than the 35w (obviously) but the only real other difference is the brighter light will make the color temp seem a bit different between the two. Example,,,, the 35w 6k will be slightly more blue than the 55w 6k. I have 55w 6k's in mine and there is almost no hint of blue,,, if you try hard, you can see a bit of blue,,, but it's almost pure white.

Overall,,, one of the best bang for the buck mods out there IMO.

·
Registered
331 Posts
So I'm guessing not to many people have the Halo kits? It's a bummer I really love the way they look but haven't found anyone that loves them. Also the fact that you can't use HIDs with them is a big let down.
Halos only belong on one vehicle, a BMW!

If the halos are your thing, then why not? There is no reason you can't use HID's with them. If a headlight is designed to take a halogen bulb, then there is an HID replacement out there that will work just fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Halos only belong on one vehicle, a BMW!

If the halos are your thing, then why not? There is no reason you can't use HID's with them. If a headlight is designed to take a halogen bulb, then there is an HID replacement out there that will work just fine.
I just read in few forums here that the kids only allow you to use stock bulbs with the kits. I know they're meant for beemers :) but then again wings are not meant for trucks either but I got mine. I like the sleek euro truck look. Would love to have halos with the Audi white dotted LED look. I'll keep searching and see if there is something that will allow you to install HIDs with kits.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
DDM 35w 6000k's in my low's and fog's and I could not be happier! What a huge difference it made for night driving, and for those who are saying it's blinding or glaring people, I haven't been flashed or honked at, I just set my auto adjust headlight to 1.5 and it's great!

I learned that it's so much easier to take the headlight assembly out to install, I was trying to go thru the top, but I gave up and just took them out!

just waiting to get the balls to do the BHLM

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ok dont hate me but you can call me stupid but can someone please tell me exactly what lights I need to order from DDM I just purchased a 2011 CM TRD with fogs.. I want Low beams and fogs, also do I need any other special things to make it work? want to order asap but cant seem to get a straight answer on what I need...

·
Registered
256 Posts
DDM "cheap ass" Raptor kits, as the OP called them is what I'm running. I think its been proven already that the cheaper raptors actually work better. The only reason the other kit is more money is the smaller ballasts. I couldn't believe the quality of the DDM Raptor kit for only $25! The ballasts seem very robust. I installed 35 watt 5k's in the headlights and 35 watt 3k's in the fogs. I can't imagine running 55watters. I feel bad for people in cars that are in front of me at stops! The 35 watt HID's are crazy bright compared to the OEM halogen bulbs.
I looked on the website and only saw the slim. Where do I look for the raptor and what is the price difference?

Looking to order a kit for my Tundra in a couple weeks. How long did it take to receive them after purchase?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
13 Posts
morimoto hids 4300k 55w. i didnt bother with the projector retrofits. the lights are plenty bright. i am very impressed with how well it performed when it iced and temparatures dipped. ive owned other hid kits and they would flicker a lot during cold weather. these start up everytime. i also use a harness

·
Registered
790 Posts
Just installed some Zenex HID's today, 35w 6k I got from Amazon. Lot of positive reviews with them. I've purchased from DDM before but wanted to try something different. The ballast seem to be made of better quality than DDM's.

·
Registered
790 Posts
This video really explains the benefits between several bulbs and HID's. The guy also states in his own words that Tundra's have the best headlight pattern of any truck out there. A lot of people say that with out projectors your blinding on coming traffic, this video shows the difference between stock headlights and HID's and shows that isn't the case.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Hey New to the site. I have a 2014 and looking to order some hid's I went to the ddm site and wanna check if I got this right. 55w 5k h9 for my highs and 35w 5k h11for lows and 35w 5k h10 for fogs all needing mounting brackets is this all correct ?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Hey New to the site. I have a 2014 and looking to order some hid's I went to the ddm site and wanna check if I got this right. 55w 5k h9 for my highs and 35w 5k h11for lows and 35w 5k h10 for fogs all needing mounting brackets is this all correct ?
Yes. You can use 3M two sided tape to mount them as well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm running the Xenon Depot Xtreme HID slim digital H11 kit.
HID Conversion Kit, HID Lights, LED Tail Lights, and many more auto accessories... -Great people, Excellent quality kits. They even give you a decent set of work gloves for the install!
Mike or Steve will take good care of you too.

Installed them yesterday. They come with the relays too if you want to use them. I did, but other members have reported no issues without using relays.
can you post a pic of the light output on the road? thinking about getting the same hid kit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I picked up High, Low and Fog from eBay from hid-technik. 28.00 offer accepted each with free shipping. Great customer service (Yes I had 1 bad ballast out of the 6, in 4 days had a new one shipped to my door)
Running 6k for high and lows and 3k for fog lights- not sure if I like the yellow but we haven't had any real foggy days to test out.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts