Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My drivers side padding and carpet is soaked it's like a sponge. it's only in one section. I have rubber floor mats but is it possible that it's just snow from the outside or is there water coming in from somewhere? I'm vacuuming it out I just hope my truck doesn't start molding.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Check the top of the truck for leaks. Meaning the door gaskets/rubber, the window seal, any place where water may get it. Use a larger 32oz cup of clean water and pour it over these places and then get in and see if water is dripping through. Typically when it comes in from the top it will gather on top of the headliner and then run down a pillar.

Reactions: theoat

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
subsequently check under the carpet to make sure you didn't lose a rubber cab plug. There are several on the drivers and passenger floorboards under the carpet for routing cables in/out of the trucks. Maybe one fell out?

Reactions: theoat

·
Registered
307 Posts
Might also check the drip hose for the ac. If you've been running your defroster it has been running. My mom has an issue in her Camry with it coming loose.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
if you have any aftermarket wiring running through the firewall check for a good seal. water will find its way in the smallest spaces.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check the top of the truck for leaks. Meaning the door gaskets/rubber, the window seal, any place where water may get it. Use a larger 32oz cup of clean water and pour it over these places and then get in and see if water is dripping through. Typically when it comes in from the top it will gather on top of the headliner and then run down a pillar.
I'll check it. I recently put in vent visors maybe theyre channeling water somewhere that it shouldn't go. We've had alot of snow fall around here and last night it rained but the floors looked and felt the same as yesterday

subsequently check under the carpet to make sure you didn't lose a rubber cab plug. There are several on the drivers and passenger floorboards under the carpet for routing cables in/out of the trucks. Maybe one fell out?
I messed with the plugs to put in my bed lights this is very likely.

Might also check the drip hose for the ac. If you've been running your defroster it has been running. My mom has an issue in her Camry with it coming loose.
I hope it's not this. Will do I'm still on the fence of whether it's a leak or its just from alot of snow. I get in and out alot from the truck and I bring in alot of snow. The water from the snow tends to pool up on the rubber mats. Below the rubber mats I have the carpeted stock mats the drivers side one was soaked. I will check all of these options.

if you have any aftermarket wiring running through the firewall check for a good seal. water will find its way in the smallest spaces.
I've got one large cable going through this is also very likely.

Thank you everyone for the help. I'll be checking all of this and reporting back soon.

·
Registered
13,817 Posts
I have found leaks on other vehicles by looking inside while someone sprays the outside with a hose.

When I left the back window cracked once, and it stormed, I just pulled the carpet up and put a fan in the truck after letting it run for about half hour with the heat on high.

Before running with the heat and putting in the fan I towel dried out as much as I could. The sealant on the floor seems to absorb water and I had a lot of bubbles that were full of water that I had to smoosh to get the water out of.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have found leaks on other vehicles by looking inside while someone sprays the outside with a hose.

When I left the back window cracked once, and it stormed, I just pulled the carpet up and put a fan in the truck after letting it run for about half hour with the heat on high.

Before running with the heat and putting in the fan I towel dried out as much as I could. The sealant on the floor seems to absorb water and I had a lot of bubbles that were full of water that I had to smoosh to get the water out of.
I checked all seals and they look to be fine I took it through a carwash and didn't notice any leaks the wet spot is towards the left of the drivers side carpet. I would hope a 2016 doesnt have sealing issues already. The front was bone dry as was the channel where the plug underneath come from. I belive its from my old rubber mats. I get in and out of the truck alot and I've brought in alot of snow. I just picked up a set of husky weather beaters I hope this resolves it and future wetness.
I'll do the fan trick I sucked up as much as I could there was no pooling of water. It was just soaked into the carpet.

·
Registered
13,817 Posts
I checked all seals and they look to be fine I took it through a carwash and didn't notice any leaks the wet spot is towards the left of the drivers side carpet. I would hope a 2016 doesnt have sealing issues already. The front was bone dry as was the channel where the plug underneath come from. I belive its from my old rubber mats. I get in and out of the truck alot and I've brought in alot of snow. I just picked up a set of husky weather beaters I hope this resolves it and future wetness.
I'll do the fan trick I sucked up as much as I could there was no pooling of water. It was just soaked into the carpet.
Yea, it shouldn't be leaking. By the sounds of it, it might have just been to much melty snow for the mat to hold.

I can't say I am really happy having the hold down lock tab on the new truck. On my old truck I would just put a crappy towel on the mat to help absorb water.

Now I just make sure it doesn't get too high. Haven't really had much snow this year though, but I could see your issue being from melting snow on the boots/shoes.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I walk through alot of snow and my boots bring back in some good chunks. On some of my older trucks I'd just throw down one of those wipe your paws floor mats. Back in the day you could hose down the whole interior of the truck.

Lots of snow in good old Minnesnowta.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
One reason why I opted for the sr is for the vynyle floors. I plow in the winter and do lawn sprinklers the rest of the year. I didn't want to worry about that problem. Also check any weld points under the cab for rust. It can happen quick on these trucks and you only need a pin hole.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts