Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time lurker, first time poster. Here's my situation.

I had been looking for a few months at Tundras and finally decided on what I wanted; a 2013 Metallic Gray DC RW. One finally showed up at the lot at my local dealership on Sunday, so I pounced and purchased it. Signed the paperwork at 10 pm Wednesday evening.

Here's the fun part. On my way to work the next afternoon, at 1:30 pm, another car failed to yield on a left turn and crossed infront of my path as I was going through the intersection. BOOM. I tried to avoid him, but ended up hitting his passenger door with my front left corner. My brand new RW Tundra with 74 miles on the odo now has quite the damage to the front left.

The cops came, called the tow, gave the other guy a ticket and we went on our way. His insurance claimed liability today. Here's my questions to y'all. Since the truck is brand spanking new... like, HOURS new... should I take it to a regular body shop to get the repairs, or back to the dealership's body shop? I want to make sure the work is done right but I also want to make sure that all new parts are put on the truck considering it's hours old. What's the best way to go about this? Attached are pictures of the wreck and damage. My airbags didn't go off. Anyone have an estimate on what will need replaced?

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
701 Posts
Since his insurance is paying, go to the absolute best body shop you can find regardless of how much it costs. You have the right to decide where your truck is repaired and I would also demand that you get new genuine Toyota parts rather than aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
341 Posts
What metal said. Done right! Man, sorry to hear about the wreck! Good no one was hurt!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Take it to a Toyota dealership that has a body shop. Not sure if there's any in your area. That way, they can check your truck thoroughly. You may have some alignment issues in the future.

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
It has the damage that was similar to mine. I'm betting 4k in parts. There is lots of parts under that plastic that will be needing replaced.

I would be devistated. Honestly, I would prolly get it fixed and sell it. it would bother me that much.

KO

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
That sucks big balls man. Like Art said, I would take it to Toyota for the estimate and ask that they estimate it using genuine OEM parts. It may look like a lot of that is cosmetic but once they get in there you will likely be surprised at the amount of damage.

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
I'd want a new truck since it's a day old. And I would have been cussing more than you did in your post.
Make sure they pay for diminished value.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Only 74 miles and already dinged up, that really suck BIG time!! Hope whoever fix it get it to like original condition.

Reactions: Ogtoyfan

·
Registered
124 Posts
Since his insurance is paying, go to the absolute best body shop you can find regardless of how much it costs. You have the right to decide where your truck is repaired and I would also demand that you get new genuine Toyota parts rather than aftermarket parts.
This is what I would do because personally I have had much better luck going with outside shops and not dealerships. Around here most guys out of tech school get a job at a dealership and than move on to a real shop once they know what they are doing better. As long as you find a reputable body shop they will use all OEM parts.

You may also want to look into having the auto body shop remove everything that is busted and than have the truck brought over to a good alignment shop. They can then check everything and make sure you are still with in factory specs.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Most dealerships today do not have a real body shop, maybe a detail shop if even that much. They will farm the work out to another local shop.
You are better off to select the best body shop you can find and demand that Toyota (not OEM equivalent) parts are used for the repair.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
That really blows. Spare no expense. It wasn't your fault so don't hold back. And like tox said, make sure that the insurance pays for your diminished value cause of the wreck. They owe you thousands of extra dollars cause of this. Most people don't even know to bring this up. They might try to fight you on it but don't back down. It is a brand new truck fresh off the lot. Take the diminished value and get your mod list ready!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
383 Posts
Sorry to hear that man. That sucks big ball. Just like everyone said. Demand new Toyota parts and get the work done from the best place possible regardless of cost.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Don't forget about deminished value. Your truck had now been in an accident and will be harder to sell or trade. Ask your insurance office about that.
A guy I know has a Porsche 918. Some lady rear ended him before he even got plates on it. That car cost 1million new. Yeah, he got a check for sure.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'd push for the diminished value as well, then work with the dealer for a replacement truck. If you can get them to push the insurance with you, whenever you can wrangle a little more leverage it always helps. If you have the gap coverage, get them working with you as well.

While not an issue with an accident, I had massive hail damage to a fairly new vehicle once. (1 year old) That particular dealership had a real body shop in it, and I got them to take the insurance claim for me, they paid me top book value for the car, Gap coverage covered the depreciation, and the insurance covered the repair cost to them. I drove away with a new one, was only out of pocket for the difference in sticker prices. The dealership was the same one where I bought the damaged car from new.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
ugh.. take it to the best body shop around, i would go after his insurance for loss of value (state dependent on whether or not this can be done)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I'm pretty green when it comes to stuff like this. Where should I start to ask for diminished value (money-wise)?

Anyone have any good shops in or around St Louis? If not, where would one go to find one of these top of the line shops y'all are mentioning?

·
"BHLM Master"
3,232 Posts
Bodyshop over dealership anyday.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I had 6 grand in work done on a brand new FJ Cruiser at the dealer body shop and they rocked....Excellent work....they helped with the deductable.....they did extra work....I wouldn't hesitate at bringing my new Tundra to them if I had to....Hope I never have to...

1 - 20 of 86 Posts