Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So let me start off by saying I have a 2003 Toyota Tundra and for about a week now I have had this weird LOUD rubbing noise in what sounds like the rear of the truck. Doesn't sound metallic like brakes or anything. I haven't installed anything new, it just happened out of nowhere.

I thought it might be the tires because they were almost bald and I was already getting new tires so fingers crossed that that was the problem, Well, turns out it wasn't.

I lifted the truck up and checked for tire rubbing or any type of rubbing for that matter and couldn't find anything. I removed the rear tires and checked the brakes and their was no rubbing there either.

I am completely baffled as to what this noise could be. Maybe to note but my E-Brake has never worked and I'm wondering if it just happened to start dragging the rear tire? I don't know, like I said I am completely clueless.

Any and all help would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Wheel bearing perhaps. Try swerving side to side gently and see if the pitch changes. If it gets quieter going one way and louder the other its a wheel bearing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wheel bearing perhaps. Try swerving side to side gently and see if the pitch changes. If it gets quieter going one way and louder the other its a wheel bearing.
So I tried your method and the noise stayed consistent even when swerving. It was still a loud hum sound coming from the rear end. Tomorrow I plan on taking both rear wheels off and thoroughly inspecting the brakes to see if they're warped or anything like that.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
A rear wheel bearing may not change pitch when swerving, I've seen it both ways. Based on your description it sure sounds like either a rear wheel bearing or differential bearings.

·
Registered
313 Posts
A rear wheel bearing may not change pitch when swerving, I've seen it both ways. Based on your description it sure sounds like either a rear wheel bearing or differential bearings.
I notice you spend a lot of time waiting for others to post first and then disagree with them, damn it's getting really annoying.

Reactions: Trailmoose

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there any way to diagnose a wheel bearing? I read that you'd be able to shake the wheel as if it's loose and I tried that and nothing. I have absolutely no idea what it could be. I did check the carrier bearing and it seemed in tact.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I notice you spend a lot of time waiting for others to post first and then disagree with them, damn it's getting really annoying.
I disagreed with you? How so?

Could you reference some other posts where I have offended you? If there are other posts where I have flat out told someone they were wrong and disagreed with them then I truly believed that. If it bothers you that much then please hit the ignore all posts by me button and everything will be puppy dogs and kittens for you once again.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Is there any way to diagnose a wheel bearing? I read that you'd be able to shake the wheel as if it's loose and I tried that and nothing. I have absolutely no idea what it could be. I did check the carrier bearing and it seemed in tact.
Typically wheel bearings on solid axles don't develop play in them unless they get REALLY BAD. Jack up the rear end and put it on jack stands, put the trans in neutral and spin each rear wheel as hard and as fast as you can and listen for the noise. If you can't reproduce the noise that way, then start the vehicle, turn all the nannies off, put it in drive and let the wheels turn, you can give it a little gas if you want, and then listen for the noise. This is best done with 2 people.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.