Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So while driving my truck yesterday I noticed a weird noise coming from the front wheel area of my truck. At first I suspected wheel bearing because the noise is loudest when turning but it happens when I turn either direction. It also makes a quieter version of the noise when the wheel is straight. Any ideas?

·
Registered
252 Posts
You're going to have to do better describing the sounds.. and what year/trim is your truck?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2011 SR5. It sounds like a metal on metal sound. You can hear it with each rotation of the wheel making a woosh woosh sort of noise. You can't hear it under like 15 mph or over 40 mph. I had the brake pads replaced about a month ago and I had to take it back once because it was making a squealing noise from where they didn't have the brake wear indicator placed correctly.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
On a level surface, jack up the front of your truck one side at a time by placing the jack at the positions described in the owner's manual. For your personal safety, place a jack stand near the jack and adjust until the jack stand is securely contacting the chassis. This may require lowering the jack or raising the jack stand, but insure that you maintain the front tire completely off the ground. Rotate the front wheel to determine the source of the noise.

Your description of the noise sounds like a rub that occurs with each revolution of the wheel. If you isolate the noise to one wheel, I would probably remove that wheel and make a cursory inspection of the wheel/tire, brake shoes and calipers for any indication of abnormality, rubbing, clean or shiny spots on metal, rubber, etc.

Recommended wheel nut torques are given in your owner's manual

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.