Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The truck has less than 20k miles on it and about 3 weeks ago, after a day of pulling a 4k lb or so trailer, I started noticing this creaking noise coming from the rear of the truck. It only makes this noise under acceleration of some sort. Whenever the rotation direction of the drive shaft changes and is under accel, it makes the noise. That's what it seems like to me anyways. I'm not too sure so I figured I'd see if anyone had any ideas as to what this noise is.

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
Silicon spray in between the leafs might do the trick. Kinda hard to hear what you are hearing over the gravel and the spare tire chain.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
@Onion Thats the thing, the noise you're referring to as the spare tire chain isn't the spare tire chain... That was one of the first things I thought could be making that weird creaking noise. 45-48 seconds is the noise I'm talking about and I am almost 100 percent sure it is not the chain. The movement of the chain doesn't even match the sound. Like I mentioned above, I really am thinking its something linked to the drive shaft. It's like anytime the shaft changes direction, the firs time it takes any torque it makes the creaking/clicking noise. I also don't think there is any leaf spring noise in that vid either haha, so Idk whats going on anymore. I'm not even sure if I should be worrying about the noise. It's just really noticeable and quite annoying to be hearing stuff like this on a truck with less than 20k miles on it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had a dang awful noise coming from mine one day, only when it was a little rough on the road. I looked all over it and found a rock sitting on top of the leaf spring, jammed between the spring and the mount. i popped it out and a quiet ride again.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Hard to diagnose what's causing that noise from the video.

If, as you say, the noise only occurs immediately after the driveshaft changes direction of rotation, I would probably try greasing the driveshaft universal joints to see if that eliminates or changes the noise. At less than 20K miles, universal joints shouldn't be the problem, but defective parts fail early. If the universal joints didn't receive adequate lubrication in the manufacturing process, they might now be failing because of the increased load during the towing. Since the noise didn't begin until after the application of towing stress, I would consider this a possible cause. If the noise goes away after greasing, that still may not be the permanent solution because damage may have already be done to the needle bearings inside the joint(s).

In fact, if your drive train warranty is still in effect, I would let the dealer do the diagnosing...and hope they don't find some pea gravel rattling around. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.