Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be towing a 31' travel trailer weighing about 7000lbs with my '08 Tundra double cab 4x4 TRD. Should I use a weight distribution hitch or will the factory installed towing package be sufficient?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Use a WDH. You would crazy not to with a trailer that big and extremely unsafe. Get one with sway control. I would highly suggest the 4 point eqi-l-izer and the 1200/12000 pound model. I have this one for my toy hauler that is 6500 pounds loaded and it works great.

O and by the way I hooked on to my hauler for the first time tonight and my tundra towed it like a champ. Can't wait to got camping.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
380 Posts
Not only should you, but you need to. That weight trailer will have a tongue weight pushing 1000lbs which would exceed the hitch reciever rating without one. On top of that, the rear will sag a fair bit without one and the reduced weight off the trucks front axle as a result can lead to control and stability problems. At that length you will want some sort of sway control as well. Definately consider the models with built in sway control like the Equil-i-zer or Reese dual cam.

·
Registered
124 Posts
WD Hitch. I pull a 32' outback 300BH with the Reese Dual Cam. Little sag, which I may install Timbrens...cant afford air bags....Im fully loaded at about 9500lbs or more, depending on how much beer I have with me for the weekend trips....2008 Tundra Dbl pulls like nothing back there....

·
Registered
232 Posts
You will need a WDH. I used to tow a Jayco 29BHS with a WDH and the Tundra pulls it great. New 5W even pulls better. I also use Timberlins in my truck and they are great. Had them in both in my 05 and now my 2012.....

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
I have never towed so I do not know the exact specs off the top of my head but you should probably check the label on your hitch and/or owner's manual. Most half tons are actually limited by official ratings to the 5000 pound range without weight distribution.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ive dropped my TT on the ball without any WD, and the truck just sinks....I woundnt recommend it....unless you are pulling it 15 feet to move real quick.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts