Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a courier I drove my previously owned (used) 2006 Tundra between 150 to 350 miles a day delivering everything from envelopes to over 1,000 lbs of product to people on at-home dialysis.

Timing belts need periodic replacement so I had it done. As the front of the engine is removed to replace the belt replacing the water pump, pulleys, etc. is usually done.
The photos are of the engine block after 255,000 miles and the water pump with half that mileage, using distilled water (no minerals to build-up) and AMSOIL Antifreeze & Engine Coolant (ANT1G-EA), Dominator® Coolant Boost (RDCBCN-EA) .

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-...kI/AAAAAAAANT4/bMhV55kfDh0/s1028/DSC05560.JPG
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...BI/AAAAAAAANT0/dTukBrI7fzE/s1028/DSC05556.JPG

Reckon that Amsoil stuff works.

· Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reactions: Wacked

· Registered
408 Posts

· Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In fact it had just passed smog and ran fine but economics dictated this to be the time for the job.
Don't know what caused the excessive oil consumption, I began with 1 to 2 quarts per 1,000 miles and eventually got down to that per 3-4 thousand miles but a head gasket let go and it was using water and oil so, at timing belt replacement we took a looksee; but a machine shop valve job and redoing the lower end would have cost more than the replacement engine so I went cheap and we never discovered the root of the problem.

· Registered
3,086 Posts
Amsoil is one of the best, but not cheap either. I only use it once per year oil changes on my 2 ATV's (2-2.5qts) and scooter (1 qt.) and cycle (3.9 qts.) since at 9-11 bucks per qt. depending on vehicle used, it is not cheap. I would hate to spend 10 bucks x 8 qts. for 80 bucks on the tundra - OUCH!

· Registered
25 Posts
Don't know what caused the excessive oil consumption, I began with 1 to 2 quarts per 1,000 miles and eventually got down to that per 3-4 thousand miles but a head gasket let go and it was using water and oil so, at timing belt replacement we took a looksee; but a machine shop valve job and redoing the lower end would have cost more than the replacement engine so I went cheap and we never discovered the root of the problem.
Maybe it was the Amsoil?

Sorry.. I couldn't resist.

· Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe it was the Amsoil?

Sorry.. I couldn't resist.
Har-dee-har. If you look closely, the lubricated engine parts are pristine, even using 25,000 mile oil and filter changes. My engine problem was that it wanted to lubricate the outside too. That and steam clean one of the cylinders.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.