Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my 2011 Tundra taken to a local Toyota Dealership because mice ate up the wire harness inside the fuse box. This happen because I had a serpentine belt go out on my on the farm and I had to leave the truck parked for a few days because of weather. The cause for the serpentine belt to go was a bad idle pulley that I replaced. To this point, I have beat the crap out of this truck and every repair was earned.

That said, the engine seemed to be in good shape for 195K miles on the farm however I would have to add a quart of antifreeze every 2 months and recently I would have to add a quart of oil between oil changes. Having been impressed with how my Tundra held up so far on the farm I decided I would get another and have the 2011 as a backup around the farm. So when I had the shop fix the harness I asked them to do an engine diagnostic and see if they could find the oil leak. They couldn't find the oil leak so they did an oil change and put a dye in the engine, but they did say there was a "significant leak on water pump". There wasn't a significant leak on the water pump, but it wasn't hard to know I had a leak since I had to add coolant every month or two. I told them to go ahead and replace the water pump. When they removed the water pump they found the seal for oil leak. So I had them fix that as well. From there my Fiance picked up the truck as I was busy with planting. On her way home - an hour drive - she says there was a sudden high pitch piercing sound (the way she sounds it, makes for a good laugh and is annoying at the same time). Shortly after the sound the truck started smoking - I'm guessing antifreeze hitting the block. She of course pulled over and turn truck off right away then called me. I had her turn the key over to check if the truck was hot, which I don't remember if by turning the key if it will tell you or not, regardless she says temp was fine only thing showing was a low oil light. So I had the truck towed back to the dealership where they informed me that the radiator cap was bad and would replace then take it out for a drive to sure it was running properly.

So they replace the radiator cap and test the truck out where it immediately ran hot. After further inspections they say that the head gasket is blown. I ask them again if they did an engine diagnostic. We apparently had a misunderstanding on engine diagnostic as the relationship manager indicated they only checked the codes on the truck. So I asked if there was coolant in the oil. Sometime later he says there was no coolant in the oil when they did the oil change, but that there was coolant in the oil now. Later he came back and said with the new water pump the correct pressure blew out a weak spot. He says the cost to change the head gasket would be $4400.

So after that long story, can a new water pump blow out the gasket? From my experiences on the farm that seems a little off especially given how the original leak on water pump was very small. To me it is more likely that the water pump they put on is faulty or they didn't fill the coolant to the proper levels after replacing water pump. Furthermore any advice? I just threw $2200 into the truck and $4400 on an engine that might now be very short lived is not high on my list of things to do.

·
Registered
125 Posts
All I would like to add is something to consider in the future. Take an oil sample and send it for analysis. I can recommend 'Blackstone-labs.com' They will identify coolant in the oil, and wear metals... they will send you a kit for free. Currently one sample standard analysis for $30. I am just a satisfied customer, DIY'er.
Blackstone Laboratories
416 East Pettit Avenue
Fort Wayne, IN 46806
Phone: 260 744-2380 (8-5 EST)

·
Registered
113 Posts
A radiator cap would have been blowing white smoke all over the place and the girlfriend would have noticed that. And the high temp light would have been on.

She said the low oil light was on. If the low oil light was on, I bet they forgot to put oil back in it. And that will make it run hot. Really hot. And the squealing noise could have been the engine bearings screaming for lubrication.

They may have toasted this engine. And when you returned it, they put oil in it, ran it, and found the blown head gasket that was caused by the extreme heat that was caused by the lack of oil.

There are two things you can't do to a engine. 1. Run it when the high temp light is on. 2. Run it when the low oil light is on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts