Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2020 TRD Pro
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my '20 Pro to the dealership today for a 1000 mile oil change. The tech was confused because I was there at 1K instead of 5K. Of course, he said it wasn't covered because it wasn't officially my first service. He couldn't tell me if he thought it was worth doing it this soon. I'm from the old-school camp of breaking in a motor and having impurities/shards of metal from new wear in flushed at 1K. $70 bucks isn't a big deal but that fact that he though it was unnecessary has me intrigued.

·
Registered
47 Posts
No service required at 1000 miles on a modern engine, just like no special break in is required.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm old school, did this myself. No harm in doing it, but with nearly 10quarts of oil and fine machining of modern motors, probably unnecessary.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Did mine @1500 miles, why play w/ fire. There are a lot of "new" cars burning oil compared to 20 years ago.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Read your owner's manual. First SERVICE is at 5K, but they don't do oil change. The first oil change is scheduled for 10K. Here's the full breakdown:
Service Interval

You can do what you want. When it's time to sell, nobody's going to give you extra credit for doing it more often. Your records are pretty pointless - I want to see what they did at the dealership. All of those services and repairs are logged and available from any dealer, by VIN. If I'm buying from "some guy" (aka, YOU) and he tells me he's been changing the oil every 5k, I won't believe him enough to pay extra for that anyway.

If it's the only way you can have peace of mind, do things your way. But nobody of any consequence has any data showing that 1K oil changes are necessary in this 5.7L. For kicks, you can cut open your filter and inspect for yourself - you're doing the work anyway. Let us know if you find anything.

·
Registered
2017 TRD Pro Crewmax in Cement
5 Posts
Having owned a shop for 20 years I would say it is not necessary on modern vehicle engines as Geezer said. On the other hand, isn’t going to hurt anything as others stated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts