Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

This forum has either made me smart or paranoid. I'm looking at 2 used trucks, both v8 5.7. One is a 2014 tundra with 70k miles. The nicer and less miles of the 2. The second is a 2016 with 97k miles.
The 2014 I believe has the cam tower leak. Owner had no idea, no oil burning smell. But it looks to my untrained eye to look like photos i have seen in this forum.
See the photos.
1. Is this a cam tower leak?
2. Is it enough to make you not want to buy this truck?
3. Can the heat shields change color from anything other than oil hitting them?

Thank you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
That first picture definitely looks like a leak to me. Either get a great price and get it fixed or move on. 97 thousand miles on a 16 wouldn't scare me. Get the newest thing you can afford. Get it inspected before you buy it so your not buying someone else's problem and enjoy your new truck.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
823 Posts
Pic one , shows oil.
Not allot , but its oil.
Unfortunately its probl a nice truck , but move on.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'll take a higher mileage vehicle over a low-mileage one any day. Short trips kill vehicles.

That leak is there - sometimes you can shop around for someone to do the work without having to rip the whole front of the engine off. I did mine in about half the time Toyota quoted, but then my paperwork is from a company whose timing chains are at the back of the engines and they'll never pay to pull a motor ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts