Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
like the title says, ive installed 5100 bilstein top setting and coach shackles 2". looks great leveled(ish), but would like to add another inch or 2. any idea to what all i need now?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had a toytec lift on the truck when I bought the truck. I removed that stiff ride and installed the 5100's. I was informed that it was a 2" kit how ever it was a 3-1 so I put the 1/2 spacer on top of the 5100's. Everything I have read is a no no. Well I have put 13,000 miles on it from last July until now and no problems. As far as wheeling goes not really unless you can say pulling trees up in my inlaws pasture wheeling. I did mode the diff drop a little and got better cv angles.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Zone 5 lift!

You are at the max that I'd recommend for the stock suspension. Maybe you can squeeze out another 1/2 of lift with a top plate spacer?? But your alignment, suspension angles, etc... are gonna be too extreme!

Just go with a 5" lift and if the urge hits your? You can go to 7" using the 5100, and a bigger rear lift!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
trying to go the cheapest but also a safe route. i was thinking of the following ways while staying with stock suspension:

1. add a 1" block to the shocks.
2. upgrade the coil overs (i hear it ranges from an extra 1-2" lift).
3. add 1-2" body lift.
4. add 1-2" lift to suspension.

would these not be safe?

·
Registered
701 Posts
4x2 or 4x4?

Problem 1. The max shock/spacer/coil over lift you can get by with, without changing UCA is about 3 3/4" in the front (in order to get front end aligned). You're probably around 3" now. So the next 1" will be expensive. It doesn't matter what combination of spacers and coil overs you can come up with. Once you get to 4" you will need UCAs.

Problem 2. If you're 4x4 3" lift is the max recommended without a drop bracket lift (typically referred to as a suspension lift). Anything more than that and your CV joints start binding.

Problem 3. For the 1-2" body lift- as far as I am aware Performance Accessories makes the only body lift to fit our trucks. Last I checked it comes only in a 3" kit (I believe it's part number PA 5633). Not a problem other than being more lift than you have expressed interest in.

If you're 4x2 you don't have to worry about CV joints and can get at least 4" by stacking and adding UCA. Additionally if you're 4x2 you can add spindles for 3.5" and combine with whichever shocks, coil overs, and/or spacers you want.

If you're 4x4 it's time to get a body lift or purchase a suspension lift.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
219 Posts
Body lifts have been know to add tortional stress to the mounts and crack the mounting points. (Depends on how you use your truck)

There's a company that makes custom size BL. Try a search on the Tacoma forums.

If you add more to your suspension you'll need UCA's which with all the issues that it will cause, stiff susp. wear and tear, etc... you'll be better off with a Zone 5.

Your ride will be much better also!
If you have a 4x4 and don't want to cut your cross members? Try look into Procomp 4" lift and you can add lift to that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.