Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have 2007 SR5 with 46K miles and new Sumitomo tires with 2750 lb ratings. Will be installing airbags and best hitch I can find. Would like to avoid cost of a Hensley.
Just retired (really miss Home Depot) and have made RV search my hobby for last year. Wanted shortest open, double slide floor plan I could find. Wanted 5th wheel for stability but expected only about 1000 lbs available for pin after passengers, fuel, hitch, etc.
Just stumbled over Tundra Talk and began to study. Then I see a picture and several comments from guy pulling 10,000 lb, 39ft Heritage Glen 5th wheel with his newer lifted Tundra with larger tires. Raves about stability and relaxed towing.
I have narrowed down to Rockwood 2650WS 5th wheel, 30 ft overall, 7631lbs empty, 1256 lbs pin empty. Probably will end up loaded around 8350-8450 lbs with pin wt of 1400-1500, 400-500 lbs over GVWR. I think I'll be OK.
Will be ordering from Heather at RVW in Lakeview, Ohio. 2650WS with every option (stainless appliances, maple cabinets with raised panel doors, even on fridge, BR AC, everything is $30,543 after $3000 disct, and if order before end of year, will deliver for free or drop another $1500. Loved Heritage Glen 286RL but was several ft longer and some heavier. Cabinets and finish not quite like Rockwood but more room in BR, king bed, etc. Brian Combs at Couch in Hamilton, Ohio, had one for not much more cost but didn't want to press my luck.
Getting excited.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Want "to see the USA" in my new RV

Welcome

I think you will want a lighter trailer to still keep the tundra as your tow rig.

I just acquired a livin lite 34’ 5th wheel 6500lbs dry. I literally hooked onto it for the first time last night and pulled it the 5 miles home. I don’t know the exact pin weight but I was told around 700-800lbs. I will be right at max payload.

You will be way over your payload rating and God forbid you had an accident. The lawyers will have a field day. Will the truck pull it? Probably, but that doesn’t mean it should probably pull it.

Look into a lighter trailer or a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. If you find a lighter 5th wheel. Look into a gooseneck hitch and the ultimate 5th wheel connection much lighter than a standard hitch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You put your finger right on my last, lingering concern (about towing 500-600 lbs over GVWR). At this point I believe I absolutely CAN pull the Rockwood 2650WS but that a sharp lawyer would rip me up on the overweight. I'm going to check with my lawyer.

I believe I have until 12/31 to make up my mind in order to take advantage of the $1500 discount. Rockwoods seem a little pricey but I can't find another nicely appointed 5th wheel that's lighter. What brand and model is your 34 footer with such a light pin?

Thanks for your concern.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Want "to see the USA" in my new RV

It’s a 2014 livin lite vrv all aluminum toy hauler. It is not really fancy no slides, aluminum floor and cabinets. My father in law is making me a deal I can’t refuse on it. I am still fixing up a ‘69 Avion T-28 trailer as well. He bought an airstream sprinter van and a small airstream trailer to pull behind it.

·
Registered
500 Posts
You're starting out with a 1256 lb pin empty? You know that will approach if not hit 2000lbs right?

I'm not against a Tundra pulling a 5th wheel, but that's just not a smart move.

If you went the Hensley route with a TT, you'll pay as much for the Hensley as you do a premium 5th wheel hitch and accessories.

And TT's are typically 1/2 the cost of 5th wheel trailers.

I am not the "need a bigger truck" for everything sort of character, but in this case if you want that heavy heavy wheel...get a Heavy Duty truck.

·
Premium Member
10,631 Posts
1400-1500 pin plus fuel, passengers and whatever else you have in the cab/bed, call it 1000 pounds.
1000 pounds or more past your limit doesn't sound safe.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
You put your finger right on my last, lingering concern (about towing 500-600 lbs over GVWR). At this point I believe I absolutely CAN pull the Rockwood 2650WS but that a sharp lawyer would rip me up on the overweight. I'm going to check with my lawyer.

I believe I have until 12/31 to make up my mind in order to take advantage of the $1500 discount. Rockwoods seem a little pricey but I can't find another nicely appointed 5th wheel that's lighter. What brand and model is your 34 footer with such a light pin?

Thanks for your concern.
Forest River products (as well as Heartland and a few others) do have good quality, pricey is a matter of perspective.
Visit Big Truck Big RV and watch his video on RV pricing you can save literally thousand there is a huge mark up. Had I known about the info 18 months ago I would 1- never bought another Keystone product, 2- paid a heii of a lot less!.

Next get a dependable 3/4 ton the potential for litigation if ever in an accident will/can wipe out a lifetime of hard work. Just not flipping worth it.
In fact watch his other RV videos on towing trucks and due your due diligence before jumping in to save 1500 bucks. you can save much more and put that towards a nice used 2500 Cummins.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.