Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats going on guys! I am looking at doing the audio system in my truck over. What I listen to is mainly country music and rock. I want something LOUD but has some bump to it. I mainly only want to replace the door speakers and still continue to use the factory NON-JBL head unit. Adding a AMP may be a option if need be but a dedicated subwoofer is completely out of the question. Those days are all over for me just need some bump when I go to my country concerts :). I am by no means and audio geek so I do need some advice. If this was a horsepower question then this wouldn't even be posted :D

-Adam

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$300.00

·
Registered
146 Posts
Ok, you say a dedicated subwoofer is out of the question, but you want some bump. Speakers running off 17watts of stock radio power will not get you where you want. Even a cheap sub to round off the sound spectrum would change things drastically.

There are a few ways to go about this. If this is all you want and you won't want to upgrade in the future I would find some semi decent speakers for the front doors in the $150 range. a cheap 4 channel and a cheap sub/box. you should be able to find a used sub/box for $50 that at least rounds out the sound stage. The h/u is a big factor as that is the source.

If you plan on upgrading later, I would do some nice front speakers for the $300 and get an amp later.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Ok, you say a dedicated subwoofer is out of the question, but you want some bump. Speakers running off 17watts of stock radio power will not get you where you want. Even a cheap sub to round off the sound spectrum would change things drastically.

There are a few ways to go about this. If this is all you want and you won't want to upgrade in the future I would find some semi decent speakers for the front doors in the $150 range. a cheap 4 channel and a cheap sub/box. you should be able to find a used sub/box for $50 that at least rounds out the sound stage. The h/u is a big factor as that is the source.

If you plan on upgrading later, I would do some nice front speakers for the $300 and get an amp later.
If "some bump" is your goal the only proper way to do it is a small sub, even a 2000.00 set of replacement door speakers are not designed to play low notes , ever. The reproduction of bass is dependent on a speakers ability to move air, the lower the note the more air must be moved the same size speakers in your doors are going to sound better but produce very little extra bass if any, they just weren't meant to do that. It will get louder and cleaner by running better speakers and an amp but your not looking at getting a significant improvement in bass response (and certainly no "bump"). If you are trying to do it without a sub though your best bet is going to be a decent 4 channel amp and replacing the front and rear speakers, normally I recommend installing 6.5" components in the front but in your case a 6x9 is going to produce more bass than a 6.5 it just won't sound quite as good. Do a good set of 6x9s in the front doors and a good 6.5" coax in the rear and it will definitely sound better and I guess if that's still not enough you can always add a sub later.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anyone make a underseat sub? Either driver or passenger seat? Under the rear seat is out of the question as I love my underseat storage box.

·
Trans-Immigrant
15,631 Posts
Does anyone make a underseat sub? Either driver or passenger seat? Under the rear seat is out of the question as I love my underseat storage box.
You can put a small sub in the under seat storage box..
thats what i did and it sounds great.

Platinumb, just out of curiosity... why do my front door speakers only play low notes... only the dash and rear doors play highs...

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

Platinumb, just out of curiosity... why do my front door speakers only play low notes... only the dash and rear doors play highs...
Is it a jbl system? If it is the front door speakers are only a mid bass driver.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Do you happen to have images of it? I am sure I can build something for under the seat if need be. Just need to measure it up.

-Adam

·
Trans-Immigrant
15,631 Posts
Is it a jbl system? If it is the front door speakers are only a mid bass driver.

Yes, JBL...
Kinda point less... they don't offer any mid bass...
I replaced them with kenwoods 6.5" but that was a waste of $

Do you happen to have images of it? I am sure I can build something for under the seat if need be. Just need to measure it up.

-Adam
This is a picture of the sub.
I cant find a pic of the box... my truck had the stock JBL subwoofer, and the HU underseat storage... The box is a few inches bigger than the stock sub box... i'd actually like to find someone here local that can build a bigger box... this sub is literally going to blow this box apart :D lol

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Yes, JBL...
Kinda point less... they don't offer any mid bass...
I replaced them with kenwoods 6.5" but that was a waste of $

This is a picture of the sub.
I cant find a pic of the box... my truck had the stock JBL subwoofer, and the HU underseat storage... The box is a few inches bigger than the stock sub box... i'd actually like to find someone here local that can build a bigger box... this sub is literally going to blow this box apart :D lol

Yeah the factory audio systems in the tundras leave a ton to be desired, the reason it didn't help to replace the door speakers is the crossover is in the factory amp so no mater what speaker you put in there they are always going to place exactly the same frequency range and level, if anything an aftermarket speaker will be less efficient than the stock one and actually reduce output making the mid bass quieter and the tweeter seem louder. The only wa around all that is to add an amp for all of the speakers before replacing them.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Who makes the best low profile sub. You guys think a 8" will do the job?

·
Trans-Immigrant
15,631 Posts
I'm not sure who makes the best... but i'm very happy with the Alpine, i was also interested in the SunDown Audio.. but couldnt find them. The JL is also really good but just as expensive as the Alpine...
pioneer and rockford fosgate make shallow mount subwoofers.. it all depends on how much you want to spend and how hard you want it to hit...
An 8 will do the job... a 10 will do it better, a 12 will do it even better... you get the point.. :D

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think a 8" would be perfect as I just want a little more. Time ti figure this out and map out a plan of attack.

-Adam

·
Registered
146 Posts
OP, if you don't want to lose any storage space you can put a sub under the passenger floor mat. Someone on here has done it. Try to find that build log.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts