Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay new guy over here on this forum so wanted to pass on a new mod I just finished today, that I know a few other on other forums have wanted a way to turn of the VSC when you start the truck. Well its been done now. :D

Oh since this is my first post, I mine as well picture a current one of my Tundra....

Okay first off I like to say I have been successfull bypassing the VSC when I start my truck by using a control module (TR-7). What it basicly does is starts a timer just as the truck starts and holds a ground to a single wire on the back of the VSC button (yellow wire) for 5 seconds. This turns off all the nannies as other call them, I call them safety features. But I am not here to argue this point since I have heard so many on this forum and others wanting a way to disable these since they got the truck. Well I have finally had a chance to try out my idea thats been in the back of my head for a while now.
This mod will not do anything to disable the VSC button as it functions now, so by hitting the VSC button on the dash again after the module does the bypass after you start the truck will turn it all off.

Notes:
This may only work on a 07 since thats all I have to test with and from my understanding that the 08's function a little different.
The bypass function only happens when you start the truck the first time after it has been turned off.
The VSC button functions as normal.
A switch can be put in line with the trigger wire to the yellow wire on the VSC switch if you want to have it function as normal unless you have the switch on, I did not do this yet and may over the weekend.
During the initial testing this mod has been working as planned. Below I will post some pics and a video to prove it works, since I know there are a few here that say no pictures or proof it does not exists. :D

Oh got to toss this little disclaimer out here,
No one shall hold me , this forum or any other companies that they acquire these parts from, for any damage or injury to them or their vehicle if they choose to follow this information to do this mod on there own personal vehicle.

On to the video:

Testing the TR-7(Function#12) module after programming to verify its working as I want it too:

Back of VSC on dash:

T-tap placed on yellow wire:

I used t-taps and crimp wires just to make quick removal easy, this is the Wire I ran under dash to center console area were I put the module. I did this cause I already tapped 12V from the cig. lighter plug here for my SPG for the NAV.

Module wired up just as I was testing before cleaning up the wiring:

Completed, oh you may see the SPG down there too:

Well that is my little project for today. I will try and get a wiring diagram up over the weekend if I don't get to busy with other stuff.

Hope you all enjoy....

·
Banned
268 Posts
So have you tested it out on the road or offroad? I wish I could find a way to turn the VSC off completly. Even with the so called nannies off the nannies have a way of coming back!LOL ! I need them gone! Cant drag race in the sand with this VSC crap.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
So have you tested it out on the road or offroad? I wish I could find a way to turn the VSC off completly. Even with the so called nannies off the nannies have a way of coming back!LOL ! I need them gone! Cant drag race in the sand with this VSC crap.
hold the vsc button down for 5 seconds, let it go. then hold it for another 5 seconds. do the same with the button on the left side of the steering wheel. the the RS....something button lol. all the stuff is off then. i can spin around in the sand like crazy.

Reactions: Dixon Cider

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All I have had a chance to test is on the road ans yes it the same as if you turn them off manually.

hold the vsc button down for 5 seconds, let it go. then hold it for another 5 seconds. do the same with the button on the left side of the steering wheel. the the RS....something button lol. all the stuff is off then. i can spin around in the sand like crazy.
+1 that should turn it off on a 08 but on a 07 model just hold the button for 4-5 seconds and thats it. Thats all this mod is doing for you when you go to start the truck, this way you don't have to reach for the button each time you start the truck if you want it off. The RS button just disables the side curtain air bags since they work on tilt sensors and the its good practice to turn this off if your going to go offroading were your truck could get put into an odd angle or tilt.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well thought I toss up the wire diagram I did this morning for anyone that may be interested in doing this mod.

I got to say after a little around town driving today the truck does seem to pull smoother with everything turned off and pull harder on take offs too. I have never noticed this before but then again I have always left it all on like the factory has it set as default. :D

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
Well thought I toss up the wire diagram I did this morning for anyone that may be interested in doing this mod.

I got to say after a little around town driving today the truck does seem to pull smoother with everything turned off and pull harder on take offs too. I have never noticed this before but then again I have always left it all on like the factory has it set as default. :D
Thanks for the wiring diagram, where do I find a TR-7 Module?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the wiring diagram, where do I find a TR-7 Module?
I say ebay for the best prices but you can some times find them at you local car alarm/stereo shops, since there are alot of other usese for these modules limited to your imagination and time. :)

Oh forgot to mention these modules come in different shapes and sizes too but all have similar features and functions, just look different.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Hope this will help me. Every time I pull my horse trailer I'm experiencing the VSC off 4lo flashing and Ck engine light on. Mine is a 08 Crew Max. What do you all think will this help or do I need to do the Yaw sensor mod. Mine is lifted with 33 Nitto's. I'm tired of unhooking the battery to clear this after I pull my trailer. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
1,853 Posts
LOL
You realize you "sub'd" a thread that hasnt been active in 5 years.....
:lol:

Not sure which is worse....subbing to a thread that hasn't been active in 5 years, or the fact that I've got a ptr-7 that has been sitting on the shelf for over a year, and the reason I bought it in the first place was to disable nannies at every start up :dunno:

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
He could have subd just to keep a link to it in his list. Makes searching for it later easier from different browsers, devices. I do that often. Not sure why people don't use the subscribe link from the thread tools drawdown though.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Does this just elimante the VSC and you still get to have your electric posi?
This is over 6+ years old from the OP. You can hold the button down fort the amount of time it take the "module" to time out the nannies.

·
Registered
25 Posts
WHen I disable everything I have a open diff, and sometimes vsc comes back on. I want to disable traction controll but keep posi. I would love to buy a auburn but seeing if anyone has figured it out yet. I know about putting it in four wheel drive and than back to two but I still have a open rear end and as you know it sucks with boost.

Have you ever ran your truck in 4 hi at the track?

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
WHen I disable everything I have a open diff, and sometimes vsc comes back on. I want to disable traction controll but keep posi. I would love to buy a auburn but seeing if anyone has figured it out yet. I know about putting it in four wheel drive and than back to two but I still have a open rear end and as you know it sucks with boost.

Have you ever ran your truck in 4 hi at the track?
I have ran the truck to 100mph in 4hi and change the fluids in transfer case and front diff more often.

What year do you have? Mid 2008's and later you can disable traction control and still have ALSD without cutting power. If your in ALSD and it starts beeping you can give it more throttle to power through it. Since it utilizes the brakes I have changed my brake fluid a few times.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
I may have to look into this more. I find it overly annoying to sit and hold a button for 6 seconds every time the truck is started. This may seem petty, but if you do a lot of short trips like me, it sucks ass.

So options now are:

- deal with it and do nothing.
- use this module, not knowing if it works on newer trucks (sounds like it will not completely).
- spend just shy of 1000.00 to buy and have installed a true limited slip rear axle. This by far would compliment the Tundra by far. Not everyone wants to spend that kind of money though.

We can put our heads together to figure this out on newer trucks.

So what actually tells the truck a wheel is spinning or loss of traction has occured? Now this is just an assumption, but tone rings are probably used on each end of the rear axle to read the differences, then the braking system/safety features are actuated. (Please quote and post if other info is pressent and would like to share)

What if the truck never knew you were actually slipping? To acheave this, the tone rings would have to measure the same speed all the time right? What about using a tone ring on the rear driveshaft with two sensors, one for each side of the rear axle? Make a bracket that holds the sensors in place (in the 11 and 1 o'clock positions to minimize damage from road debris or offroading)? Would this not solve the issue? Wonder if the factory sensors could be pulled and used or a second set being bought and placed on a switch to activate would be better?

Making a resolution to this issue would have to be cheap though, or why not go with an Auburn LS unit?

Ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
@ColoradoTJ , You would still have to disable the traction control if you have the Auburn LSD. It will still detect wheel spin and cut power if your spinning both wheels.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts