Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know this isnt the common wheel to be putting on a truck but they just look hot. Being in the tuner culture these wheels looks more performance than aggressive like the wheels i've been seeing out there. what do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Nice wheels... Don't know if they will look good on a black tundra....

·
Registered
808 Posts
Good wheels will stay straight longer but forged wheels crack. And when that happens they are trash. I like middle of the line wheels that are tough but can be bent back into shape if needed.

Although I really don't have experience with nice wheels on a truck as my truck is a work truck and not a show truck.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Good wheels will stay straight longer but forged wheels crack. And when that happens they are trash. I like middle of the line wheels that are tough but can be bent back into shape if needed.

Although I really don't have experience with nice wheels on a truck as my truck is a work truck and not a show truck.
Ive seen cast aluminum wheels crack but Ive never seen forged wheels crack. And Ive pounded the lip back into shape on some Alcoa wheels before without any issues. What kind of forged wheels have you seen or heard of crack before?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Ive seen cast aluminum wheels crack but Ive never seen forged wheels crack.
My buddy hit a huge pothole with SSR forged wheels. He couldn't find anyone willing to fix them because they were forged.

They were definitely strong wheels (and pricey) but my understanding is the harder the material the more likely it will crack rather than bend.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
My buddy hit a huge pothole with SSR forged wheels. He couldn't find anyone willing to fix them because they were forged.

They were definitely strong wheels (and pricey) but my understanding is the harder the material the more likely it will crack rather than bend.
Huh. That's weird. I always heard that forged wheels were easier to repair. With cast you are pretty much screwed because they are very difficult to weld due to the porosity in the metal from the casting process and they are too hard and brittle to bend without causing more damage. But with most forged wheels being machined from a single solid chunk of aluminum they can be welded and repaired more easily. Of course there is a limit to how much aluminum will bend before it fails and breaks but I didn't realize forged aluminum is considered a "hard" metal.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
How much are the wheels...? Roughly...

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have TE37 18x9.5 on my Evo and love them. One of the highest quality and most timeless designs ever. I waited about 7 years to get some on any of my vehicles. Strength to weight ratio is seldom paralleled. What size are you talking? Obviously a 20x10 is going to cost more than a 17x8.

Yes they are expensive but you need to look at the bigger picture. Mackin/Volk/Rays isn't just "thinking" of a price. They are manufactured in Japan and imported, adds cost. They are forged in some of the best (most expensive) manufacturing processes. The availability of sizes is excellent, but due to all of this, most are custom-order. Wheels like this a manufacturer doesn't just pick a some popular sizes and manufacture a whole bunch of at once, at least not to the extent of cheaper, more broad market wheels, so this increases cost. Many wheels from different brands are often manufactured in the same factory. Not so with Mackin, they manufacture their own. Owning all that technology, tooling, etc. is a massive investment.

Everyone wants caviar on a McDonald's budget. You want the best, you have to pay.

You could just drive an F150 with cheap wheels cast in a third world country or something, but there's a good reason you don't...

·
Registered
181 Posts
I want a set of 20" (to clear my Trd bbk) in black color....but that would prob cost more than my whole truck...lol
If you find the right source, you could be looking at about $3200-3400

1 - 20 of 35 Posts