Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So due to loss of power and fuel mileage I finally got around to taking my Volant off tonight and putting my stock intake back on. When I took the cover off of the Volant the filter was laying in the bottom because it came off. I know other members have had that issue as well. My next step is a different filter and the SABM.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ran it for 9 months. Yes it was reset a few times. It's a pos. As soon as my stock intake was reinstalled my mileage came back and so did my low end power.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
It seem as though 90% of people who install an aftermarket "CAI" are very dissatisfied with the "performance claims" that these companies have advertised.

If you have $300 to spend, hit up Keith (dirtydeeds) and get a Hypertec Interceptor. Keep the factory intake and add a AFE or TRD air filter and call it a day.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I was looking at the SABM and either the TRD or K&N drop in. Does he have a Hypertech for the 4.6? I spoke to him before. That's how I found out that the aftermarket intakes suck.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Yes I was looking at the SABM and either the TRD or K&N drop in. Does he have a Hypertech for the 4.6? I spoke to him before. That's how I found out that the aftermarket intakes suck.
Yes it works with the 4.6l just MAKE sure the throttle controller gets properly/reprogrammed for the 4.6l, apparently there is a difference between the 4.6/5.7.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I had a Volant on my Dakota. Way too many fitment issues and tweaking that was necessary for such an expensive piece. Actually a recurring problem on that truck was that the tube was a tad too short. If I had the one end all the way on the throttle body, the other end didn't stick quite far enough into the box. So the filter couldn't be clamped on securely enough and more than once I would open the box and find an open tube and the filter just sitting there. I wonder how long the dude who bought the truck after I traded it probably drove before popping the cover off and realizing the filter was just rolling around in there.

I haven't seen the point in wasting the money on any aftermarket intake for the Tundra. Not interested in more noise and less low end for 2 or 300 bucks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the Volant CAI with the Gibson catback. I installed the CAI and exhaust, 4.5 inch lift and 35's during the same tank of gas. My average MPG right now is anywhere between 12.8-13.5. I mostly drive around in the city with maybe 60 miles a tank on the freeway. I never really checked what my MPG was when the truck was stock, but its the 5.7 4x4 (2013).

Its hard to say if people actually lost gas mileage because of the CAI. So many things affect gas mileage and one of the biggest being the human factor (driving style). I drive hard sometimes and sometimes I take it easy, but my gas mileage is right there with everyone else's with 35's. I do not believe that my gas mileage is lower now than it would be with the stock CAI. I also do not believe that I lost any torque from the CAI either. I haven't seen many getting over 14 with similar setups to mine. I HAVE seen people getting lower MPG than me though. So take it for what its worth, but if you wanted a truck with really good gas mileage then you may have purchased the wrong truck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The hypertech interceptor can be purchased all across the web not just from Keith at BA. I have seen him comment and test it and it seems to be a great option for increasing power with a plug in set up.

I did the home box mods for the intake and its worked great. About $80 out the door and it sounds deeper and got better mpg. I'm in the process of installing a Gibson dual sport and that should add some kick.

I was interested in the Volant CAI but had some bad reviews so didn't pull the trigger. Now that leaves me the extra money to get the hypertech piece, and with the air box mod and my new Gibson, it should book and cook!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same intake and the same issue on my 07 tundy. filter kept falling off. the idle rpm would always fluctuate when it would fall off though. actually sucked a butterfly into the maf once also.
on my 12 tundy i have a k&n intake and haven't ever had an issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts