Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
"DECEASED"
14,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Volant Fitment issue.

The space between the intake box and the Fender Well (where the stock intake draws its air) is there for a reason. With the flexing of the body and the torque of the motor that space is provided to adjust for the movement of all those components – the problem that may surface by securing the box to the fender is the silicone hose that mounts on the Throttle Body could come loose or the box could break at the modified mounting point. There is truly no benefits to sealing the box to the fender – the reason a gasket is supplied is for the scoop that we are working on to secure to the box making a seal – see attached image of our PowerCore Tundra with Scoop installed."

"I saw this image (foam gasket above) – the problem could be two fold – A) the gasket never sealed correctly on the intake box – have that member call me and I’ll replace it - B) the intake box is rubbing the inner fender wall – in this case I would adjust the box slightly away for the wall to avoid the rubbing. "

"Just a heads up – the foam gasket like I said is there only for the scoop that we are in the closing stages of offering. The gasket has no real use for those running the air intake. So for the members having issues have them remove the gasket – for those want to have that gasket – have them drop me an email and I’ll send out a replacement. And let me reiterate about the gap between the fender and the box – it’s there for movement of the motor, by fix mounting the intake to the fender, you could run the risk of the silicone hose breaking loose from the throttle body causing irreversible damage to the injectors and the motor – what little engine heat that could pass through or even get through to that opening will not affect the performance of the kit. For those looking to modify that box by placing a new mounting point – please be aware that if the box was to break or crack etc etc and the cause was the mod, you could risk voiding the warranty. Please be aware that we want you to be happy with our products and Volant has put hundreds of hours developing that system, modifying our kit or any kit could cause problems."

Special Thanks to TonyLop......

Danny's contact info:

Danny Moniz
Vice President / COO
9255 Archibald Ave
Rancho Cucamonga, Ca 91730
Hours: Mon-Thur 9am - 5pm
Closed Fridays
Volant / www.volantpowercore.com
909-476-7225 x237

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thanks for sharing Beericus:)

I don't see the fitment issue as a big problem. It's gonna suck air in regardless, The cover off is an option, Although i worry about the filter life being short doing this.

There are other options as well. Flex hose, I am looking for a similar material that connects the Volant to the throttle body. I have a very old diving suite, I could cut an arm off it and give that a try LOL.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Why doesn't this gap exist with the stock setup? If it's gonna flex as Volant says, it will do so with the stock air box too.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Why doesn't this gap exist with the stock setup? If it's gonna flex as Volant says, it will do so with the stock air box too.
The stock one, the hose is more flexable and I think that will take up the movement when the engine is flexing it muscles.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The stock one, the hose is more flexable and I think that will take up the movement when the engine is flexing it muscles.
Did you mod your Volant to go into the fender??

I have thought of a few ways it could be done. But i am not sure about them.

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
The intake hole and my fender hole on the 2010 were way off so I put a little pvc bung under the intake as a spacer to get it to tilt better to match the fender hole.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Did you mod your Volant to go into the fender??

I have thought of a few ways it could be done. But i am not sure about them.
No, I read what Beer wrote so I left the gap. I would like to see it fit better. If you call it a Cold air intake it should get air from outside the engine compartment. I know there is debate about this, when you are calling for more power you are already moving and air is flowing thought the engine compartment. Sitting still there is no need for the cold air. Then why is Toyota’s intake sealed at the fender wall and getting all of its air from outside of the engine compartment. The theory sounds good but I say if you are getting air from the engine compartment do not call it a CAI then. Just my thoughts..

·
Registered
233 Posts
No, I read what Beer wrote so I left the gap. I would like to see it fit better. If you call it a Cold air intake it should get air from outside the engine compartment. I know there is debate about this, when you are calling for more power you are already moving and air is flowing thought the engine compartment. Sitting still there is no need for the cold air. Then why is Toyota’s intake sealed at the fender wall and getting all of its air from outside of the engine compartment. The theory sounds good but I say if you are getting air from the engine compartment do not call it a CAI then. Just my thoughts..
All we have to do is put our heads together and figure out the best mod to run something into the fender, Flex hose is a bit thin, And would have to either be bolted to the fender, Or something fabed to make it stay in place. A long silicone coupler thing similar to the piece that connects the Volant to the throttle body would work probably???

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
Pull the part that goes into the fender off the stock air box. Insert that between the fender and the Volant.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Does anyone else find this ridiculous for a part that costs $400? For that I expect it to fit like oem and I better have all the hardware in the box too.

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
Mine fit against the fender.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I see then need for the gap to flex and all, my question is does the holes not lining up between the intake box and the fender hole hurt my air volume. I thought about cutting the fender hole to match the intake, but that would make my stock box useless if I have to swap them out for whatever reason.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Add Note

Mine could fit flush if I drill a new mounting hole. If I installed the OEM piece it would flop around and I do not want that. Also the intake hole does not line up...... why????? I hope this is the last thing, if they say it can not be rigged then why is it hard mounted should it not have a gromit like the OEM one. Don't get me wrong I like that it will give more HP, MPG and a beefer sound. I just question some of the manifacturing. It is not a cheap mod and it is a good company so other people say.. Again just my thoughs and a review of the fit of the product to my truck.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Honestly, i think the piece that is supposed to be touching the wall should have a plastic piece connected to it that actually goes into the fender almost like the stock one does, for some reason mine already came with bolt holes, no reason they couldnt come up with a peice that attatches to it

·
Premium Member
1,791 Posts
Honestly, i think the piece that is supposed to be touching the wall should have a plastic piece connected to it that actually goes into the fender almost like the stock one does, for some reason mine already came with bolt holes, no reason they couldnt come up with a peice that attatches to it
Read the first comment in this thread. Those bolt holes you are talking about are for the scoop Volantis trying to come out with.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I installed mine last week, I already have bumped my average up 1 MPG. The sound is super throaty, especially around 3-4k rpm. As for power, I live at about 6200ft, so I already lose like 25% just from barometric pressure and density of the air, so 22 horse to the crank would be way less noticeable here. Having said all that, I already expect my return on investment to be around 32 weeks (what can I say, I'm an engineer and had to figure that crap out before purchase). So no doubt was it a great investment, and the installation was a breeze. I highly recommend this intake, and I look forward for the scoop/attachment they are working on.

·
Banned
118 Posts
I installed mine last week, I already have bumped my average up 1 MPG. The sound is super throaty, especially around 3-4k rpm. As for power, I live at about 6200ft, so I already lose like 25% just from barometric pressure and density of the air, so 22 horse to the crank would be way less noticeable here. Having said all that, I already expect my return on investment to be around 32 weeks (what can I say, I'm an engineer and had to figure that crap out before purchase). So no doubt was it a great investment, and the installation was a breeze. I highly recommend this intake, and I look forward for the scoop/attachment they are working on.
Where did you get it and how much?It sounds good I wanna try it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought mine from AutoAnything.com and it was like $377.xx before shipping if I even paid that. It really does sound super throaty and I keep realizing the gas mileage benefits.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Unless you put it on a dyno I would not believe the box for the 22 more horses. I will believe 1 mpg more. that is about what I get and the is worth it in the long run.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts