Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I'm going to be getting my wheels and tires put on soon as well as stereo (Head Unit and Speakers) Upgrade.

And I'm Debating putting on a 2 way alarm system on my truck.

I'm Looking at the Viper 5704, Install Essentials 507M Tilt Sensor, DE 506T Audio/Glassbreak sensor, and FLCAN Bypass.

My question is, How hard is it to install by myself?

I Called up a local car place to get a quote and they want $800 installed.
The price for all the parts is $275.

·
Registered
701 Posts
As long as you understand wiring and don't care to take your dash apart it's not too hard. I spent several hours studying wiring diagrams and basic installation instructions before I attempted mine. I'd say I spent 6-8 hours actually installing it. To do it again I could probably look over diagrams again for maybe 1 hour and install in 2-3 hours.

Installing it was my first experience soldering wires so that was a learning experience as well. It seemed a little overwhelming at one point but looking back its really not that bad. I only installed the basic 5704 system. No add-ons yet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't really have problem with wiring or soldering. Nor taking apart dash. Did all my stereo and speaker wiring myself, wired lights before and done plenty of soldering.

Just wasn't sure if it was insanely difficult or not

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well. Went ahead and ordered 5904, Glass Break, Tilt sensor and FLCAN bypass.
I'm spending too much on this truck.. lol

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sucks that the viper install instructions are so vague.
Doesn't tell what wires to hook what to. Need a wiring diagram for the tundra itself

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lol, great.. my FLCAN Came with the wrong Firmware, it came with the Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep firmware.

So now i have to buy a $50 cable to flash new firmware? that sucks,

·
Registered
701 Posts
That sucks. I forgot to mention that before you ordered it. I tried to get a local shop to reflash mine to the TL4 firmware. They acted like they didn't know what I was talking about. Maybe you could try that with better luck than I had.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I goto question though.
I got the 5904 and ordered a tilt and glass break sensor also. And the 5904 came with a shock sensor.

The main control box only has 2 ports for sensors. Is there any way I can use all 3 or am I stuck with 2?

And if I'm stuck with 2, which out of the 3 would be best?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok now I'm confused. On the flcan guide it shows some wires that don't need connecting if I do data mode. Is the data mode the D2D port in the 5904? And if so is it 2 way or 1 way data?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Yes. Data mode is connecting D2D to DBI.

Which firmware are you going with? Remember the wiring for the Flcan is different for each different firmware. It shouldn't make a lot of difference in installation but its important to make sure you wire it accordingly for your firmware.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As long as you understand wiring and don't care to take your dash apart it's not too hard. I spent several hours studying wiring diagrams and basic installation instructions before I attempted mine. I'd say I spent 6-8 hours actually installing it. To do it again I could probably look over diagrams again for maybe 1 hour and install in 2-3 hours.

Installing it was my first experience soldering wires so that was a learning experience as well. It seemed a little overwhelming at one point but looking back its really not that bad. I only installed the basic 5704 system. No add-ons yet.

So how much of the dash do you need to take apart? Are there any pics of this being done?
Thanks,
Steve

1 - 20 of 21 Posts