Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will be taking the tundra on our first LONG trip. We will be driving to Portland and from there going all the way down the coast to San Diego. Take the kids to Disneyland and head to Vegas!!! Over 3000 miles! Can't wait to check out the ocean,my wife has never seen the ocean at all and I've never seen the pacific. If anyone knows of some amazing places to see or stop let me know any info is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
YES...Don't miss Hurst Castle. Just take the downstairs tour, It's an amazing tour. When you're in Big Sur, Stop for lunch at Nepenthe (google it) and go to Pfeiffer Beach in Big Sur (just north of Nepenthe). It's cool and off the main road, it won't be crowded. The surf comes through the rocks, it's really cool.

You'll love it, My wife and I Drove the PCH from San diego to San Francisco last year. My wife still loves it. You'll be able to stop at several elephant seal beaches along the way too. They stink but it's cool to check out, especially for the kids.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Pismo Beach/morrow bay, long beach & Viennese beach (that place is crazy, but good street performers), San fansisco pier 39-41, Mier Woods park, San Diego piers and check out the ships...that is amazing. Napa vally if you like wine, check out the wine tour down the coast.

The highway coming down from Portland is relaxing drive...if you drive with the speed of traffic.

Have a great trip out and return back to Colorado. Please post up some of your places you go.

·
Registered
11 Posts
North to South is best ... I think

Driving from north to south is probably best for the passengers. Great sights.

Two cautions... the road from maybe Eureka? to San Fran along PCH is fairly boring... Lots of ocean and up and down around hill along the coast... Pretty senery... but nothing much there.

The other caution is from SF through the Big Sur area of the trip down toward Herst Castle... It will take you much longer than you think to drive... Narrow road and slow. Super views and such.

Be sure to stop at Pismo Beach area... you can actually drive on the sand with vehicles... check it out...

Have fun and enjoy.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Where are you getting on 101?

If you're going through Coos Bay make a short side trip to Charleston: boat basin, Sunset Bay State Park (they have yurts), Shore Acres Garden and Cape Arago overlook. On the way south stop at Cape Blanco and tour the lighthouse.

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Anno Nuevo is the elephant seal place to be. Swing through Santa Cruz, get some salt water taffy if that's your thing. Hit Monterey Bay and do the aquarium. It's more than worth it. Carmel is quaint. I enjoyed the 17 mile drive. Further down, spend a dime in Santa Barbara. You could venture inland a bit to Solvang. They have some kick ass Swedish pastries and wares. Keep in mind California is NOT like Hawaii and you have to pay to get to a lot of beaches which is a load of crap.

When further north, stop at the beach at Ft Ross. There are some sweet tide pools. Ft. Bragg area has some of the most beautiful coast in California. The roads are narrow and VERY windy. Used to skin dive up there for abalone. Scuba for Ling Cod and Capazonie.

Just take your time and don't get in too much of a hurry. Of course, make sure you practice your single lane road passing. Have fun!

Reactions: chadawes

·
Registered
326 Posts
Redwoods National Park would be on my list too.

·
Registered
452 Posts
the 101 is a garbage road but its has nice views

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When are you going to be in Portland?
I will be in Portland on Monday..can't wait. I always wanted to go to Oregon. Thanks everyone for all the great info. I will post some pics for sure. I can't wait to see how the tundra drives at sea level

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
If you happen to stop in Brookings, our port and boardwalk area is nice. It looks over the fishing boats, easy beach access, and the sea lions like to hang out near the Coast Guard station.

If you are interested in anything historical, check out the Mary D Hume in Gold Beach. It is just after you cross the art deco style Patterson bridge. The Mary D is a whaling boat over 100 years old, but is wasting away in the water. They were going to restore it, but some guy kept filing legal challenges so no one could do anything with it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
That sounds like an amazing trip! My dad and I rode the Oregon portion of 101 on motorcycles a few years back. It was one of the best times I ever had with him. The Oregon coast is beautiful. You picked a good place to show your wife the ocean for the first time, but you may have spoiled other coastlines for her!

Oh, and make sure to stop by the cheese factory in Tillamook to eat a bunch of free samples and get some ice cream.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Oh yeah, if anyone wants to actually swim in the water, the ocean is really cold. I would suggest Loeb state park, 8 miles up N Bank Chetco River Rd. And pm if you want any restaurant suggestions.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I bet it is just amazing on a motorcycle! I think the cheese factory sound like a good stop also. Man U all are helping us out a lot with our trip. With so much to do u never really know what's the best. I told my wife if I posted on the tundra forum I bet I would get lots of ideas and that I did. Thanks we really needed some advice. The Internet is just so flooded with stuff it's hard to get the good from the bad. How about some killer sea food places?

·
Registered
326 Posts
How about some killer sea food places?
My house! :lol5:

Seriously, we don't go out for sea food very often. I hear Moe's is usually pretty good/consistent. They have restaurants in Cannon Beach, Lincoln City, Otter Rock, Newport & Florence.

+1 on the Tillamook Cheese Factory if you're going to be that far North. We lived in Tillamook for 5 years and went there a bazillion times.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Corbett fish house in Portland is one of my favorites. The chili fried fish and chips is awesome if you like spicy. You should also really hit the food carts in downtown Portland if you are going through. I recommend that to anyone that goes to portland for the first time. Very unique to PDX. One of the carts, The frying Scotsman makes a good fish and chips as well. 10th and SW Alder downtown.

http://pdx.eater.com/archives/2013/01/28/presenting-21-of-portlands-musthave-food-cart-dishes.php

You can stop by my place and say hi on the way to the coast if you feel like it. About 30 miles east of Portland. I should be in the shop all day.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts