Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at replacing my current Tundra for one with less miles, before I install all the extras I recently bought (thanks to this site). I just found a potential truck, but it has a supercharger installed already. It's a 2012 with 49K miles on it, and the supercharger looks to have been installed when the truck had 500 miles on it (by dealer). The current dealer is selling the truck as a certified vehicle, so I get some assurance from that, but I want to know what I should be checking or concerned about.

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
If it's at a dealer, they are likely trying to get the MSRP price for the supercharger back. That would be the biggest thing to pull me away from it.

How much are they asking in relation to average retail/trade in (no supercharger)

If it checks out fine and you could get a bumper to bumper for a couple years I wouldn't be afraid of the blower.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is at a dealer, and they bought it from an auction, which seems odd for a vehicle with such low mileage. I expect they got it for a decent price. For my area, a 2012 Rock Warrior with 49K miles would probably go for around $28K. This one is for sale for just under $32K, so it looks like they are trying to get at least half of the retail back. It also has TRD dual exhaust, which is nice, but the Carfax also shows 1 accident. The pictures also show a laptop mount, which makes me wonder what the original use was (tire replacement at 19K miles makes me think the original owner enjoyed the supercharger quite a bit :))

·
Registered
177 Posts
The 1 accident reported by Carfax would bother me more than the fact that it has a SC on it. Some may complain that Tundra's with SC have probably been beaten up and aren't worth purchasing but that's just speculation. If you want to inspect the trucks SC to make sure its still in good shape, have them pull of the drive belt and wiggle the pulley. Just like any other bearing device, if there's slop in the pulley then chances are it'll need rebuilding soon. While you're at it, check the water pump pulley as well as all the others. I have a 13 CM FFV Plat that I bought for 35K with 65K miles on it. It had no SC but did have a freshly installed 4 1/2" lift with new 35" tires on Fuel Rims. Again, that 1 accident would probably be a deal breaker for me instead of the SC. GL!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good points... I went back and asked the dealer for any more info on the accident, prior use, etc. If they can't supply or are not willing to drop the price, I'll keep looking for the right MGM Rock Warrior or current gen. Platinum (not a fan of chrome). Normally I wouldn't consider paying 32K for this truck, but the SC caught my eye...

·
Registered
177 Posts
You know, 32K for a 12 with 47K miles on it aint bad the more I think about it- especially with a SC. What did you find out about the accident report? Also, The Rock Warrior, does it have the TRD shocks or any other goodies? Can you attach some pics of the truck?

Good points... I went back and asked the dealer for any more info on the accident, prior use, etc. If they can't supply or are not willing to drop the price, I'll keep looking for the right MGM Rock Warrior or current gen. Platinum (not a fan of chrome). Normally I wouldn't consider paying 32K for this truck, but the SC caught my eye...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did get a response from the dealership, but they didn't know details on the accident. They just know it involved the rear of the vehicle, and it was able to be driven after...basically the information available on the Carfax.

As far as goodies, not much in addition to the supercharger. It does have the Bilstein shocks and TRD exhaust, but that's about it, unless you consider a bug shield and drop in liner goodies...not too exciting. I have attached a side picture (you can barely see the blue on top of the rear shock). I may head down to see the truck this weekend. If all checks out good, and I can get it for little more than a RW w/o a supercharger goes for, I'll probably take the deal.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Man i'm having buyers regret on getting my 2012 with 60K...even though I got a smoking deal @ 29k- Supercharged, headers, King's front and back UCA's, 34's, auburn LSD in rear, bumpers, lights, stereo & subs... Pretty much everything I was looking for. It's in the shop right now with a misfire. The truck is sweet & stupid fast but if I could do it over I'd get a new bone stock one and do everything myself so I know exactly whats done.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I’d avoid the one the OP is talking about for 3 reasons. 1- auction acquisition versus local trade. 2- accident. 3- auction vehicle with an accident.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.