Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided to get some new tires put on my stock rims for the winter time. A few days went by and I had not looked in the bed of my truck with the cover on. Last weekend took a trip so I was going to load some gear up. Opened the tailgate and the tire place had thrown my old tires in the bed. I had assumed they just kept them. I guess they assumed I wanted to keep them since they still have some life left in them. So now what do I do with them? I hadn't planned on keeping them. Don't really have the room to store them. Any suggestions on what to do with them? What do most of you do with your used tires when you upgrade and your old ones are only a little over half worn? It would be nice to get a couple hundred for them if possible? Is there used tires places that will take them and resell them?
I have 35000 miles on them.
I think they're 275/65/18 Michelin LTX A/S

·
Super Moderator
10,869 Posts
Take them back to the tire place and tell them to keep them as you don't want them, especially if they charged you the tire disposal fee (look on your receipt).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take them back to the tire place and tell them to keep them as you don't want them, especially if they charged you the tire disposal fee (look on your receipt).
The receipt is at home. I'll check it tonight and see if they charged me a disposal fee. If they did then I'll be bringing them over there. Anyone know what Discount charges for the disposal fee if they didn't? lf Discount is just gonna toss them Id rather give them to a used tire place if they wanted them of course. Since they're still good. But i'm pretty sure not many have their hands out for used tires. those things are a burden.

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
This. If they didn't charge you then see what they want to take them. Or try selling them on craigslist. $50 is $50.

·
Super Moderator
10,869 Posts
The receipt is at home. I'll check it tonight and see if they charged me a disposal fee. If they did then I'll be bringing them over there. Anyone know what Discount charges for the disposal fee if they didn't? lf Discount is just gonna toss them Id rather give them to a used tire place if they wanted them of course. Since they're still good. But i'm pretty sure not many have their hands out for used tires. those things are a burden.
If you used Discount then I doubt they charged you but I think the fee is like $5-7 per tire. If the tires still have good tread then they would hold onto them and sell them or give them away if they can but if the tread is decent you could probably unload them on CL like previously stated.

***Edit***
Actually, I think the fee is like $2-2.50 per tire now that I think about it.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Sell them in the spring. ;)
Keep them in the back of the truck for weight.

Traction for the Michigan winter. :thumbsup:

I grew up in the white fluffy NW side of MI...
But had family in the 'burbs of Detroit.
It gets pretty narley there in the winter.

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
Yeah you should try and sell them if you don't plan on using them ever again. Sell them on craigslist. Depending on how much tread is really left you could get a bit of easy cash out of them. These stupid 18" tires are horrendously expensive, and many people are hard on cash so any way they can get a descent set of tires for relatively cheap they'll be searching all over craigslist.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I retreaded some old sandals and made some raised gardens with my old rugged terrains

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:lol5: I have witnessed a tire burning at a bonfire party years back. It cleared everyone out. Don't think I'll be going that route.

I'll try the CL route first. Thanks for all the suggestions and estimates.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Lots of people having a hard time out there. Pay it forward and give them to someone who couldn't other wise afford tires for their car or truck. We have center in our town where people can drop off items to help the less fortunate. Just a thought.

Sent from my Crew Max

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lots of people having a hard time out there. Pay it forward and give them to someone who couldn't other wise afford tires for their car or truck. We have center in our town where people can drop off items to help the less fortunate. Just a thought.

Sent from my Crew Max
That crossed my mind. But I wouldn't know where to take them around here. Most the donation places around me typically take clothes and household items. Not auto parts.

·
Registered
227 Posts
craigslist

Just sold my OEM take off Michelins on Craigslist for $100 last week. 16,000 miles on them. Took 3 days and the guy drove from 2 hours away. Been sitting in my garage all summer. I was happy :) to have $$ in my pocket, space in garage:clap:, and buyer was happy to have a nice 'new to him' set of Michelins.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discount Tire fee is $2.50 per tire, so my receipt says, here in TX. Donation will get you a tax deduction for charity!!!! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts