Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 tundra with the USB and aux port on dash. My big thumb drive that is about 3 inches long is a 8gb and works great with the exception sticking out and being In the way. I just bought a 16gb one that sticks out less than a inch, both had the songs uploaded from the same computer and format but the new 16 says USB error when I plug it in. And suggestions.

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Try to reformat the USB drive (use FAT32) and plug it in without any songs on the drive just to sort of reset everything, then add a few songs and see if it works...if it does then add the rest of your music and try it again.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok ill try to reformat it when I get home, I just got to the lake until Sunday. Dose anybody have anything bigger than a 8gb USB that works fine

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just bought a 16gb drive made by HP and it gives an error message too. I have a 2010 DC, and it works in our 2013 Camry but just won't work in my truck. I have tried everything, I guess the truck just doesn't like the drive. I am currently using a 4gb drive made by HP and it works great.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to try to reformat my16gb when I get home. My 8gb works fine so maybe that's the limit.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
reformatted it last night and plugged it in and got a no support message.. put a few songs on it and got the usb error again..8 gb is still working fine though

·
Registered
50 Posts
i used a 16gb on my 11 dc and it worked fine from the first time to the 20th until i swapped out the factory stereo

·
Registered
353 Posts
I don't think there is a max gb size unless it's around a Terrabyte. I got a 500gb Toshiba Hard Drive plugged into mine and I get an error message from time to time. I have noticed that my wifes Hard Drive which is a Western Digital works fine in my truck and I never get the error message with it. Where ever it stops playing, it picks back up where it left off with no problem at all but my Toshiba will start over sometimes at the very first song on the hard drive. I have well over 3,000 songs on it.

I did read somewhere maybe on here that the WD's worked best with our stock radios.

Mine is formatted in FAT32

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
anyway you could get the model number of what your using.. so you both have hard drives, I was looking to get a low profile thumb drive but if I have to get a bigger drive and run it into the glovebox or something guess I will

I don't think there is a max gb size unless it's around a Terrabyte. I got a 500gb Toshiba Hard Drive plugged into mine and I get an error message from time to time. I have noticed that my wifes Hard Drive which is a Western Digital works fine in my truck and I never get the error message with it. Where ever it stops playing, it picks back up where it left off with no problem at all but my Toshiba will start over sometimes at the very first song on the hard drive. I have well over 3,000 songs on it.

I did read somewhere maybe on here that the WD's worked best with our stock radios.

Mine is formatted in FAT32

·
Registered
353 Posts
I paid $50-$60 for my 3.5 inch Toshiba and maybe $78 for my wifes 3.5 inch Western Digital hard drive. If you have a center consol, it will fit in the empty space between the two power points located below the A/C controls.

I can't tell you the model # for the Western Digital. I'm on a three week vacation with about a week left before I get back home.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks.. a lot of the new ones I see are usb 3.0.. dose anyone think that would cause a problem or should I stick with the 2.0

·
Registered
110 Posts
Bought a sandisk 16gb, only sticks out about 1/4 inch. only checked it out to see if it works, don't know if it is 2 or 3. package doesn't say.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts