Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang,
As I collect parts to do the lift/level, wheels, and tires on my non-TRD DC, I was thinking about some other possible upgrades. Since I have to take the front struts off to install my Supreme 3" spacers, would it be worth completely replacing them? Would putting on Bilstein HDs or something similar be a good upgrade to do while I am at it? Are there other struts and coils that would be better? If so where is the best place to buy these parts?

I would appreciate any thoughts or opinions. Thanks!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Depends on how high you want to go and off-road vs. street. I just did my 3" supreme but I am going to do the Kore/Fox in the front and Fox on the back later on, because I will be doing a bit of off-road. I've heard some not so good stuff about the Bilstein 5100's. A lot of folks are running the OME 612 or 614 and love them. Scour the Suspension threads for coilover and rear shock info. Also check Wheeler's Off Road for set ups and pricing. Off Road Warehouse is another site that carries shocks.

Reactions: Ol'Dub

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Boss. I'm not necessarily trying to gain any additional lift by adding new shocks, just thinking about improving the ride and using a better quality part. I should mention that I will be driving on roads at least 95% of the time, so off-road performance would be nice, but not the main focus.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I love my OME complete suspension with 613 coils. I was able to get the alignment done on my truck without any issue and no abnormal wear and tear on my tires with stock UCA. OME leaf pack will definitely help with the bed bounces. While you are at it, get yourself the poly bushing and shackles from David and you all set.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will definitely look into the OME parts. I will mention that I already have a Supreme Suspensions 3" spacer and differential drop kit for the front, and +3" Coach's shackles for the rear waiting until I can get all my parts together.

On another note, will the OME coils add any lift on the front? I haven't looked into them at all.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I will definitely look into the OME parts. I will mention that I already have a Supreme Suspensions 3" spacer and differential drop kit for the front, and +3" Coach's shackles for the rear waiting until I can get all my parts together.

On another note, will the OME coils add any lift on the front? I haven't looked into them at all.
Yes, it will add lift. You could see between 3" to 4" depending on what you go with. You could just replace the shocks that way and not have to do the spacer kit. Here's the link for OME C/O's.

3" OME front lift with shocks/coils - Toytec Lifts: Toyota Lift Kits: FJ Cruiser Lift Kits, Tacoma Lift Kits, Tundra Lift Kits, 4 Runner Lift Kits, Sequoia Lift Kits, Toyota Truck Lift Kits

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yikes, the OME kit you linked looks good, but for me is a little cost prohibitive right now. I already bought the lift parts, which cost less than $300 for front and rear.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Yeah, it's definitely a bit costly, but the OME is the most economical of all suspension lifts I've come across. I'd say you're sitting pretty for what you got right now, especially since you'll be mostly on highway/street. Give that a run and see how it performs for you and then re-evaluate later. But if you're like me, it's always gonna be stuck in your mind :D

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I used to do the same. I first went with ready lift 2.4", then bilstein 5100 at high setting, then bilstein 5100 at mid setting with spacers, then the shock snapped in half. With all that money, time and trouble I decided to reach down to find my pair and hang on to it and ordered the OME lift. It ride smooth bit David makes it ride even better with his shackles and bushing.

The question is, how many time do you want to mod your suspension? The complete OME package cost around $1200ish. But you will never have to think about it again. You already have the shackles so you only need to buy the bushing kit for $58.99 shipped. But again, diff stroke for diff folks.

·
Banned
5,396 Posts
I just put some kings 2.5 adjustable coilovers n love em!! Right now they r in the middle settings n it's a little to high for me, if u put it at the highest setting it would b higher than the bilstein 5100's

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
I used to do the same. I first went with ready lift 2.4", then bilstein 5100 at high setting, then bilstein 5100 at mid setting with spacers, then the shock snapped in half. With all that money, time and trouble I decided to reach down to find my pair and hang on to it and ordered the OME lift. It ride smooth bit David makes it ride even better with his shackles and bushing.

The question is, how many time do you want to mod your suspension? The complete OME package cost around $1200ish. But you will never have to think about it again. You already have the shackles so you only need to buy the bushing kit for $58.99 shipped. But again, diff stroke for diff folks.
Get the bushings no matter what suspension you go with, they make a significant difference in ride quality and they are inexpensive...the install takes a bit of time but it's well worth it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Get the bushings no matter what suspension you go with, they make a significant difference in ride quality and they are inexpensive...the install takes a bit of time but it's well worth it.
Are you talking about the carrier bearing spacers? They were included with the shackles, so I will install them when I put in all my lift parts.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Are you talking about the carrier bearing spacers? They were included with the shackles, so I will install them when I put in all my lift parts.
Nope the poly bushing that go onto your leaf springs to replace the rubber bushing.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmmmmm.... I didn't know I needed those as well. I'll have to look into it.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Hmmmmm.... I didn't know I needed those as well. I'll have to look into it.
For $59 you'll notice a significant different in handling.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just got done reading the entire thread in classifieds about these bushings. I suppose another $60 in the grand scheme of things is not bad. I'm waiting until I get wheels and tires to do all this at the same time, so waiting for bushings is no big deal.

Reactions: 2010

·
Registered
507 Posts
Skip the spacers an go with ome 612's.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts