Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I own a 2014 CM SR5 - truck is stock except for the HD LT tires. We tow our Travel Trailer with it, and I am looking to upgrade to a larger unit that will be about 7,500 lbs with 800 lbs of tongue weight. I am not concerned about being able to pull it, but I want the truck to ride as level as possible as I most likely will run over the payload capacity slightly. We do use a weight distribution hitch already, and with the current (5700lbs) trailer I get some sag in the rear.

For stability I am going to add the sway bar. But what do I do with the leaf springs or shocks? And do I add the Sumo Springs? I am most likely leaning away from airbags, have heard too many stories from fellow road warrior campers about complications and when they do blow it really sucks when you are 1,000 miles away on a trip.

Other then that, it is my daily driver/family hauler and I do not off road it except for the on-beach driving in the summer for fishing. But with the stock truck and airing down the tires, we have no problem on the beach.

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Check out my build thread for my experience trying to avoid the airbags for the same reason you mentioned.

I tried sumos and the hellwig helpers. Sumos didn’t do much for sag but they did make the rear end more stable. The helpers lifted the rear didn’t help with sag, rode rough and were noisy.

I ended up with firestone airbags, daystar cradles, and the airlift wireless one compressor and couldn’t be happier with my setup. Go with the bags, you won’t regret it.

I do carry some spare tubing and push fittings in case I have a failure. If a bag goes, oh well I’ll have a saggy rear end until I get home I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have experience with airbags from my previous vehicle not my tundra.

I dailied my car on full air ride suspension for four years and 60k miles.

No issues other than an occasional check valve freezing ( we have winter here)

Maintenance was minimal besides draining the traps here and there.

Air ride has come a long way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts