Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am planning a 3 week road trip from Los Angeles to Houston and New Orleans starting memorial weekend, taking interstate 40 to stop at Grand Canyon an other locations along the way up and back. This would be my first time doing the trip in the Tundra since I only bought it 2 months ago. We are not towing anything. I am definitley not worried about using the Tundra but want to prepare the truck maintenance wise.

Tires are new, brakes are new, cabin filter is new, engine air filter is new. Truck runs great and I have 57k miles on it. I have about 2500 miles before my next oil change is due but was planning on doing an oil change before the trip putting in Mobile 1 5w-20 synthetic.

I read through the owerns manual but didn't see anything on the radiator/cooling systems flush interval or throttle body/full injection cleaning interval. I thought about doing a rear differential drain/fill and tranny drain and fill but I don't know if I need it and just wondering if I should have these done as well.

Thanks for the input.

· Premium Member
2,951 Posts
If the coolant looks good, no rust, the right color etc, I would leave the rest of it until after. I would be worried something wouldn't get tightened properly or filled all the way. Then you really have problems on the road.

After Mickey had the trans flush done it needed to be rebuilt. I'm planning a 2,000 mile trip this summer, and I will just do the same as you. New oil and replacing the worn out stock tires. Everything else will just be checked.

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that's what i was thinking as well about the tranny drain/fill. I read the other issues some have had. Radiator coolant looks nice a red and clean so i guess it can wait until after I get back.

What about throttle body cleaning or fuel injection cleaning? I was thinking just carry some Lucas treatment with me and use it a few times during the trip.

· Premium Member
13,343 Posts
So I am planning a 3 week road trip from Los Angeles to Houston and New Orleans starting memorial weekend, taking interstate 40 to stop at Grand Canyon an other locations along the way up and back. This would be my first time doing the trip in the Tundra since I only bought it 2 months ago. We are not towing anything. I am definitley not worried about using the Tundra but want to prepare the truck maintenance wise.

Tires are new, brakes are new, cabin filter is new, engine air filter is new. Truck runs great and I have 57k miles on it. I have about 2500 miles before my next oil change is due but was planning on doing an oil change before the trip putting in Mobile 1 5w-20 synthetic.

I read through the owerns manual but didn't see anything on the radiator/cooling systems flush interval or throttle body/full injection cleaning interval. I thought about doing a rear differential drain/fill and tranny drain and fill but I don't know if I need it and just wondering if I should have these done as well.

Thanks for the input.
You have a long way to go before a flush of the radiator. I think it's recommended at the dealership at 120k miles or was it 100k miles. So you have time for that. The rear I can't tell you. I did mine at 100k also. I would go with the tranny drain and fill before the trip. If I'm not right the book recommends a flush of the tranny at 60 or 65k miles.

· Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Yeah that's what i was thinking as well about the tranny drain/fill. I read the other issues some have had. Radiator coolant looks nice a red and clean so i guess it can wait until after I get back.

What about throttle body cleaning or fuel injection cleaning? I was thinking just carry some Lucas treatment with me and use it a few times during the trip.
Personally I use Shell gas since they have the detergents that clean your system.

· Registered
403 Posts
IF you've never changed the differential oil, I'd suggest that you do it before the trip. Also, I recommend greasing the driveline, it's often overlooked and has the potential to cause significant driveline wear. Both of these are very easy to do and can be done in under 30 minutes.
Heres an example of the fittings on the driveline that you want to grease:

you'll need on of these (they're cheap):

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Mickey, my truck is 2 wheel drive, but I was plannign to have all these grease points lubed up. I forget the proper name for these. Tire rotation will also be included and Im having them install my locking lugnuts since I currently don't have them on my wheels. Checking the spare tire as well. I'll have them check the rear differental oil and let me know if it needs changing as well.

One question. I noticed on a few occassions when I come to complete stop the truck does a little jerk as though from the drive shaft. This has only happened once or twice since I had it. Any idea what this can be and is it common?

· Registered
87 Posts
IF you've never changed the differential oil, I'd suggest that you do it before the trip. Also, I recommend greasing the driveline, it's often overlooked and has the potential to cause significant driveline wear. Both of these are very easy to do and can be done in under 30 minutes.
Heres an example of the fittings on the driveline that you want to grease:

you'll need on of these (they're cheap):
and if your like me i have a 4wd but no grease fitting on the drive line(and i have the bump from behind)> I guess the replacement im going to get is going to have the fitting.

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Question regarding the grease fittings and lube the chasis. I have a 2 wheel drive and was told by a service advisor that I do not have any of these fittings on the drive shaft or anywhere on my truck for them to lube the chasis. Is this accurate? I looked under my truck and didnt' see any on the drive shaft, so I am assuming he's correct on this, and I checked the front end since this is where I remember seeing these fittings on other trucks.

I just want to be sure I am not being misinformed or overlooking something.

Thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.