Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Who knows... Maybe I'll just upgrade to Silverstar Ultras in the headlights and convert my KC's over to HID... Any thoughts on that from anybody? Maybe 55w 6000K...

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,237 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Who knows... Maybe I'll just upgrade to Silverstar Ultras in the headlights and convert my KC's over to HID... Any thoughts on that from anybody? Maybe 55w 6000K...
Don't waste your time on Silverstars (unless they are the European Silverstars). They have a coating on them which by design will reduce the light output. I don't know about you, but when I upgrade my lighting I do it so that I can see better. I don't do it to be fashionable or so that people think I am cool. I don't want my bulbs to have a blue/purple/green/yellow coating as all that does is REDUCE light output. If you don't want to do a retrofit, then look into the H9 mod. I have done it as have many others and the difference is dramatic. It is about a 50% increase in light output, but the light pattern is correct as it is a filament bulb, NOT hid.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Don't waste your time on Silverstars (unless they are the European Silverstars). They have a coating on them which by design will reduce the light output. I don't know about you, but when I upgrade my lighting I do it so that I can see better. I don't do it to be fashionable or so that people think I am cool. I don't want my bulbs to have a blue/purple/green/yellow coating as all that does is REDUCE light output. If you don't want to do a retrofit, then look into the H9 mod. I have done it as have many others and the difference is dramatic. It is about a 50% increase in light output, but the light pattern is correct as it is a filament bulb, NOT hid.
I AM looking to increase visibility. Don't get me wrong, I like the way a 6000K looks but I'm more concerned with getting crisper light that will help with night driving. The idea about switching the KCs over to 55w HID is just to get as much light as possible down range. I might look into the H9. Thanks

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Forgot to ask. You got a thread for the H9 conversion?

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,237 Posts
I got the silverstars shipped to my door from ebay for around 18 bucks. Highs and lows.
Definitely an improverment over stock bulbs.

·
Registered
13,957 Posts
Powertech you got a website for the vvme lights? All I'm really looking for is lows and maybe highs. So hopefully no chance of filling with water there.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
sorry for late response, just saw this...

vvme.com...

however i would rather deal with ddmtuning, vvme requires you to send any issue parts back to china, ddm is sent inside u.s.

the ballast that vvme sent me that i paid 10 bucks for looked used and caused major radio interference, so much that i started paying for sat radio again... vvme's answer was to wrap the ballast in tin foil.

really, after that i won't deal with them... and that ballast failed within a few months of use.

·
Registered
13,957 Posts
How did you coat your wires specifically? Just all over the oem connector and aftermarket one?
sorry also, im trying to catch up, been busy working open to close everyday...

i packed the actual contact area with dilectric grease, then hondabond'd the ends of the connectors where the wire and rubber seal are inserted, then coated the rubber seal that seals the male to female connectors with hondabond...

then assembled. it made a mess on my hands, but hopefully it stays corrosion and moisture free.

its the moisture that seems to be the issue with the hid kits...

the flicking on to make fire seems to be a connection issue more than anything, we all have the same trucks electrical system, we all don't have issues... mine didn't come up till the water filled ballast that wasn't sealed in the factory, then the replacement ballast was defective before i even got it, but failed later... the opposite side just had a rusting connector, oddly enough it was only the spade/prong side, not the oem side...

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

·
Registered
87 Posts
How about Kensun? Found them on amazon.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
I bought those on Amazon and they work great. I purchased 3 different sets for all of my vehicles except for my Tundra, got low's and fogs. Did not have a single problem with any of them. They work great!!

Reactions: SitkaTundra
21 - 34 of 34 Posts