Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, So I just purchased a used Unichip tuner from ebay at half the cost of retail.. So I went to the website and noticed that the installation instructions talk about how the unit plugs up to the Throttle Body, the MAF
sensor & the Crank sensor.. Problem is that the unit only has two huge bundles of wires that connect to the 2 big harnesses which connect up to the ecu..

Question is am I missing some wires? Or is this a newer version that doesn't use all the wiring to plug up to the other 3 sensors.. The only installation instructions listed on the website specify that the unit be connected to the 3 sensors.. What should I do?

If you have any knowledge about this product, please feel free to share.. Any input would be helpful. Thanks -Jayson

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you buy the one for $350 are you running a supercharger?
No I found one for $300.. No supercharger either.. Could that be the unit that was intended for supercharger applications?

·
Premium Member
2,008 Posts
The Unichip itself.. Old vs New is the same. It's the Harness that has been up graded. The old style was an "inline" piggy back style. It is a real PITA to install..(see thumbnails).. That is the one you bought.. The new style is the one you found online. The Unichip seems to work best with the Tundras that have the S/C.. If you have a Naturally Aspirated 5.7L, there is a good chance that...
well just read this 3 page thread..:eek:
Question UNICHIP .. If you have one installed, pls chime in
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Unichip itself.. Old vs New is the same. It's the Harness that has been up graded. The old style was an "inline" piggy back style. It is a real PITA to install..(see thumbnails).. That is the one you bought.. The new style is the one you found online. The Unichip seems to work best with the Tundras that have the S/C.. If you have a Naturally Aspirated 5.7L, there is a good chance that...
well just read this 3 page thread..:eek:
Question UNICHIP .. If you have one installed, pls chime in
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Aw crap.. now idk what to make of it.. I just figured since im running intake, long tube headers, single pair of high flow cats, cat back exhaust, some tuning would be in order to get everything running right... now idk what to do.. :confused:

·
Registered
13,522 Posts
Dude, you did all that, yet you only have a few posts online here... 4-ums are the area to check out for mods...

It may help you tho...

The thing to remember is that uni only fools things when it is outside the box, meaning when you are at full throttle... that is about it from what I gathered and remember when I talked to them.. I was going to buy, the guy actually talked me outta it sorta, they (uni) can't overcome our power management meaning the trac and what not... The trans will still try to save itself and tell the tb to shut off if it feels it is in the danger zone...

The Uni guy told me to try to do a roll on, give 5-10 feet then floor it, then give it a full floored from a start... They can not make the full on floored faster...

it is kinda like the torque management on gm's. Till they can overcome that I will not buy.

If we could get the trans tune for an s/c unit we would be golden imo.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dude, you did all that, yet you only have a few posts online here... 4-ums are the area to check out for mods...

It may help you tho...

The thing to remember is that uni only fools things when it is outside the box, meaning when you are at full throttle... that is about it from what I gathered and remember when I talked to them.. I was going to buy, the guy actually talked me outta it sorta, they (uni) can't overcome our power management meaning the trac and what not... The trans will still try to save itself and tell the tb to shut off if it feels it is in the danger zone...

The Uni guy told me to try to do a roll on, give 5-10 feet then floor it, then give it a full floored from a start... They can not make the full on floored faster...

it is kinda like the torque management on gm's. Till they can overcome that I will not buy.

If we could get the trans tune for an s/c unit we would be golden imo.

Yeah I finally came to this site from a different forum.. I just don't know what to do with this tuner now.. im probably gonna still get it installed since I have it in my hands now..

·
Premium Member
2,008 Posts
Yeah I finally came to this site from a different forum.. I just don't know what to do with this tuner now.. im probably gonna still get it installed since I have it in my hands now..
You might as well install it. It's not that hard with the original connectors, just take it slow. Don't force the connectors into each other, you can bend the pins. Also watch out for those fragile gray locking plastic levers. My UC cable was new and had what looked like Vaseline all over it. I'm sure it was some electrical lube.
As for if it works? You need to know what tune it has on it since it's used. I called Aaron at Unichip and bought a cord so he could command my system and tune the Unichip. it might work for you.. then again it may not..-LoL
Good luck..:D
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

1 - 8 of 8 Posts