Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have the unichip and notice a difference, is it worth the price?

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
unichip is set it and forget it, tundra ecu is too smart for unichip. It will find out what you're doing by sampling the exhaust gases with an a/f ratio sensor (not an 02 sensor) The a/f ratio sensor is much more high tech and more sensitive/accurate. The ecu just adapts and makes your unichip nothing more than an ugly ornament added to your truck because you spent money on a little box that gives you absolutely no long term gains in hp or performance.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones to have a working custom tuned Unichip. I had it tuned and I can tell a difference in the custom tune versus the can/non-tuned map. To this day, my AFR are not nearly as pig rich when going WOT, and I've had really no issues with it. That's been my experience, hope that helps...

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones to have a working custom tuned Unichip. I had it tuned and I can tell a difference in the custom tune versus the can/non-tuned map. To this day, my AFR are not nearly as pig rich when going WOT, and I've had really no issues with it. That's been my experience, hope that helps...
I'm curious, What is your AFR at WOT with the Unichip and what is the AFR at WOT with Out the Unichip? Did you have a Wideband hooked up (with an O2 into your exhaust) to monitor a current reading? I'm just wondering if your ECU has learned to adapt after your custom tune..?

·
Registered
55 Posts

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
What about for FFV SC vehicles, what's the difference there? Is it just there to trick the computer for FFV?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm curious, What is your AFR at WOT with the Unichip and what is the AFR at WOT with Out the Unichip? Did you have a Wideband hooked up (with an O2 into your exhaust) to monitor a current reading? I'm just wondering if your ECU has learned to adapt after your custom tune..?
With the Unichip at WOT, AFR is at 11.0. Without the Unichip it would be in the 9.5 - 10.0 AFR.
Yes, I have a Wideband and a boost gauge hooked up and mounted on the steering column.
I don't know what the ECU may/may not have learned, all I know is my AFR consistently stays at 11.0 during WOT. I think what what really made a difference is the tuner told me he was able to add a little bit of timing back in with the Unichip and you can't do that with the MAF calibrator. I know a lot of people are down with the Unichip, but mine seems to be working great. That has been my experience with it, hope that helps. For anybody thinking of using a Unichip with a custom tune; do all of your mods first, then consider getting a custom tune.
Later...

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
With the Unichip at WOT, AFR is at 11.0. Without the Unichip it would be in the 9.5 - 10.0 AFR.
Yes, I have a Wideband and a boost gauge hooked up and mounted on the steering column.
I don't know what the ECU may/may not have learned, all I know is my AFR consistently stays at 11.0 during WOT. I think what what really made a difference is the tuner told me he was able to add a little bit of timing back in with the Unichip and you can't do that with the MAF calibrator. I know a lot of people are down with the Unichip, but mine seems to be working great. That has been my experience with it, hope that helps. For anybody thinking of using a Unichip with a custom tune; do all of your mods first, then consider getting a custom tune.
Later...
That really surprises me!! I had an extensive conversation with Jack at UniChip(a few months ago) and we finally went around in circles so we both decided it was best to get off the phone LOL. He kept saying that "as long as you don't try to get the truck to do something that the computer doesn't want it to do the UniChip will work fine" I asked in detail what that meant. Basically as long as the a/f ratio that you want is what the truck's ECU wants then the unichip and truck ecu will work together, but if you try for an a/f ratio that the ecu doesn't think is right it will fight the unichip and won't work. So for your truck to see 11/1 a/f ratio is not something that I'd expect. The ecu should've learned it's way around unichip with that a/f ratio.

Jack actually told me that with my long tube headers and full exhaust I had done too much to my truck and that I needed to change it back to stock, tune the unichip, then install the exhaust to make sure that the unichip will tune correctly LOL. I told him that the only reason I wanted the unichip is because I wanted to lean out the a/f ratio at WOT, there's literally 10-15HP sitting on the table in my tune right now, he said unichip will only tune the truck to where the truck's ecu expects it to be otherwise the ecu will fight the unichip. I was like, "so what's the point of unichip then???" And I'm not going to spend 12hrs. putting my stock exhaust back on, then tune it with unichip,, and spend another 12hrs. putting my performance exhaust back on, he said, "then UniChip isn't for you" I said "WAJ" and hung up.

Pretty frustrating.

·
Registered
283 Posts
dirtydeeds;
I hear ya, I originally bought the chip before the SC, so when the SC went on I pulled the chip off. I then contacted Unichip about SC maps and they said to send everything back and they would send me another chip with the SC canned map on it. I saw no difference between their map and the factory TRD-SC map. At that point I didn't think I had anything to lose so I found an authorized Unichip tuner that said yes he could custom tune it for me. At first there was a wiring/pin harness problem that he was able to resolve after getting on the phone to Unichip and then proceeded to tune my truck.
I'm very interested in your mid pipes from the stock headers back to the flanges without cats; could you pm me a price quote on those? Thanks!

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
dirtydeeds;
I hear ya, I originally bought the chip before the SC, so when the SC went on I pulled the chip off. I then contacted Unichip about SC maps and they said to send everything back and they would send me another chip with the SC canned map on it. I saw no difference between their map and the factory TRD-SC map. At that point I didn't think I had anything to lose so I found an authorized Unichip tuner that said yes he could custom tune it for me. At first there was a wiring/pin harness problem that he was able to resolve after getting on the phone to Unichip and then proceeded to tune my truck.
I'm very interested in your mid pipes from the stock headers back to the flanges without cats; could you pm me a price quote on those? Thanks!
So if this worked for u, there must be something lost in the translation between me and Jack. I'm glad it was money well spent on your part, it pisses me off when people waste money for nothing, I've put 30k into my 1st gen, 10k of that was mistakes and redo's because things didn't work as they were supposed to. That's why I even come on here to give an opinion, it's not to bash any company, it's to help people not waste money. Toyotas are hard to make power with, but not impossible!!

I don't have a set price on the mid pipes yet, but I do have an introductory price. $250+shipping for straight bolt in pipes, with a pair of 12" mufflers it's $450. Until I work out the parts list and all that those prices will be honored even if they are at a slight loss. I wanna get em on people's trucks. I WILL have dyno numbers this on next Saturday depending on how the rest of this week goes.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Later...
So your AFR was pretty flat across the rpm range with no spikes prior to the Unichip?
I just ordered a wideband so I can test a little ******* way I'm thinking to lean out the AFR for under $100. Plus once I go FI it will be good to have.

Post MAF un-metered air leak controlled by a solenoid at WOT??? Will it work? I'll find out soon unless someone gives me a good reason not to. It should lean the AFR out, but the real question is will it advance timing at all? I'll use some OBD2 scanner software I have to monitor.

·
Registered
13,894 Posts
So your AFR was pretty flat across the rpm range with no spikes prior to the Unichip?
I just ordered a wideband so I can test a little ******* way I'm thinking to lean out the AFR for under $100. Plus once I go FI it will be good to have.

Post MAF un-metered air leak controlled by a solenoid at WOT??? Will it work? I'll find out soon unless someone gives me a good reason not to. It should lean the AFR out, but the real question is will it advance timing at all? I'll use some OBD2 scanner software I have to monitor.
I think the O2 sensors will still notice it... I dunno for sure tho. May be worth a try for the track...

I also had several discussions with Uni, I think it was even Jack whom I had talked to...

I learned that even if you make more power you may not see much if any gain in 1/4 mile times on a stockish truck. The truck still has torque management (more or less) and it is a smart bitch and tries to save itself...

Meaning, if you launch hard with a uni, the truck will still limit the power to the trans if it see's it is operating outside of normal characteristics....

He also told me to try doing roll-ons vs launching, and it actually made a difference, a big difference. Once the truck is moving and doing 3-5 and then tromp it it pulls harder than just launching. At first I thought he was bs'ing me but he isn't. Uni can and will make more power in most cases, however if that power can't be put to the ground when you want it then most will not be happy.

Now as for the afr ratio, Damn, that is pig rich. On my quad I am looking more around 13.5-14:1 or so if I remember correctly for tuning with an afr monitor installed. ( I have one, haven't installed it yet... Need to, then need to find all the notes on tuning it with an afr monitor for power)

·
Registered
724 Posts
I think the O2 sensors will still notice it... I dunno for sure tho. May be worth a try for the track...

I also had several discussions with Uni, I think it was even Jack whom I had talked to...

I learned that even if you make more power you may not see much if any gain in 1/4 mile times on a stockish truck. The truck still has torque management (more or less) and it is a smart bitch and tries to save itself...

Meaning, if you launch hard with a uni, the truck will still limit the power to the trans if it see's it is operating outside of normal characteristics....

He also told me to try doing roll-ons vs launching, and it actually made a difference, a big difference. Once the truck is moving and doing 3-5 and then tromp it it pulls harder than just launching. At first I thought he was bs'ing me but he isn't. Uni can and will make more power in most cases, however if that power can't be put to the ground when you want it then most will not be happy.

Now as for the afr ratio, Damn, that is pig rich. On my quad I am looking more around 13.5-14:1 or so if I remember correctly for tuning with an afr monitor installed. ( I have one, haven't installed it yet... Need to, then need to find all the notes on tuning it with an afr monitor for power)
At WOT the truck should go into open loop and fuel/timing is based off preset tables according to MAF readings, but with these Trucks you never know.

My truck hits the rev limit on the 2-3 shift if I punch from a dead stop. From a roll on it shifts fine. I don't know if my tranny is messed up or a glitch in the nannies. These trucks are just too complicated. :confused:

·
Cereal Killer
20,307 Posts
The uncertainty boils down to what the ECM does with the air fuel ratio readings at WOT. Is this sensor in fact a true wideband sensor which can maintain closed loop at WOT (albeit with an AFR richer that stoichiometric) or does the ECM still ignore O2 sensor readings at WOT as is done with old school narrow band O2. :dunno:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts