Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the other day my son and I are at Menard's picking up some materials to build a wall in my Mancave. I had some 12' studs sticking out of the bed, so I pulled up to the front doors of the store to get a red flag to put on them. A guy walks out of the store and practically yells in front of everyone "Wow! What a great truck! Did you win the lottery or something?" I laughed and said, "No, I bought it new in 2008. It's all paid off, and I just put the new wheels and tires on it. I've got over 95,000 miles on it". He couldn't believe it. Thought it was brand new. Just makes a guy feel even better about his truck. :)

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
In 2011 after I had my truck for about a year I had a retired gm guy as me if it was one of "them new ferds" and then ask how much it was lol...

People are funny sometimes.

I like this "Why a .308? Because people have a strange tendency to get behind things when you start shooting at them."

Reactions: lars00n

·
Registered
697 Posts
Get that as well then i tell them about the 11 1/2 mpg in town they shy away .

Reactions: Dragos28

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's nice to hear compliments. I've had 2 people give me crap because it was a Japanese truck. Had a guy pull and said "f*** imports" and "your truck is a piece of jap c***". Wasn't gonna take the bait and start a fight in traffic so I smiled and gave them a thumbs up and continued on my way.

Even my supervisor called my truck "rice" so I kept making fun of his Ram 1500 until he was extremely pissed. He did back off after a few days later.

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
I was at Lowes a couple weeks ago buying plants and soil for the yard. They offered to load the truck if I pulled up to the front. So I pull the truck up and one of the guys helping to load said, "Wow, that is a really good looking truck." I say thanks. He looks around for a badge on it (it's debadged) and then asks what kind of truck it was. I say it's a Tundra. He looks shocked and then says, "Wow, I never thought I would ever say that about a Toyota." I just smile and start loading the truck.

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
Just last week going to work had a black female stop me and asked about my truck. No one can believe it's an 07 with over 158k miles on it. She asked what type of truck and how I got my back window to go down. I did explain to her what it was and how it does the window thing. It's good to have someone admire what you got not knopwing it's 6 years old with the amount of miles I got on it.

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
That's the great thing about the Tundra design team. It took them almost 7 years to make mild changes to the brand. Lol of course the '07 looks new cause it looks just like my '13. Well now I feel like an idiot.
And in 6 months after the new design comes out, it will look as old as my 07.:D

·
Registered
408 Posts
Just last week going to work had a black female stop me and asked about my truck. No one can believe it's an 07 with over 158k miles on it. She asked what type of truck and how I got my back window to go down. I did explain to her what it was and how it does the window thing. It's good to have someone admire what you got not knopwing it's 6 years old with the amount of miles I got on it.
You actually stopped to talk to a BLACK female?

Reactions: Bad Habits

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
I work in service and I get a few Tundras in that look brand new that have over 100k miles on them. Of course though I have a few new ones that come in that look like they have over 200k because the owner doesn't take care of their vehicle and they are in for their first service!

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
When I traded my Dakota Quadcab the dealer told me it looked pristine. I know for a fact it sold within a few days because the buyer was at the same audio shop where the dealer sent me to get my old gear swapped into my Crewmax to get replacement stuff for what I took from the Dodge.

The wife is a different story. She tends to accumulate battle scars without doing anything about them until her cars look like crap, and she doesn't understand why I think it would be a waste for her to buy a 45K luxury vehicle. Just the other day I asked her if she wanted me to run her '12 Camry to the bodyshop to see if we can fix the scrape on the bumper from where she rubbed the garage door. She said it was not a priority. IMHO it helps you want to keep a car for longer if it still looks good after a few years. Much like a house, if you let problems accumulate it starts to feel too pointless and overwhelming to do anything and you're no longer happy being seen in it.

Reactions: TAMUTUNDRA

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
I can't lie, it feels great when random people start taking pictures of your truck. They are beautiful beings with lift, rims, and tires.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Last week I parked at Lowes and a woman said how much she likes my new truck and how shiny it is. She was surprised when I said it's a 2008.

All I do is keep it washed every week or two and make sure the wax still does it's job. About once a month I'll hit the interior with a vacuum cleaner and wipe the dust out with a cloth. Except for a few scratches and tiny dents, it's still in new condition.

It's always nice to hear compliments on our trucks.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I love to talk to random people about their trucks because I know we all like others to take interest in what we've done and it feels good. I don't care what brand it is, time and effort spent on your vehicle to keep it maintained or to make it your own should be acknowledged.

Like why we're all here. Just better 'cause it's in real life.

Every so often though there's someone who just "bought it like that", or took it to a shop to get it all done up and don't really know much about the parts, which is fine I guess, still nice.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was at Home Depot getting stuff for my rental. A fork lift driver and two other guys. When they opened the roll up door the guy laughed. I gave him a look that wanted to rip his head off. He looked back at me and said I was outside helping someone ten minutes ago and saw this truck and said wow that is a clean looking truck. Is that brand new special edition? That made my $3000 bill there seem like $300. Love my truck.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts