Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

· Registered
505 Posts
One could say...any grease is better than no grease at all.

It's been at least 15 years since I began buying only one grease for everything automotive (and farm). Valvoline Synthetic.

Of late, WD40's "True Multi-Purpose" grease has caught my eye. I hate to change from what's worked for me for so long, but I might for the sake of who carries it. Menards, of which there everywhere in WI. Where as I have to buy my beloved Valvoline grease online.

· Registered
1,068 Posts
Slap me silly, and call me Willy. Went in for a scheduled maintenance at my local dealer, & decided to test my service advisor's knowledge base. I asked him if they ever greased the "U-Joints" when changing the oil. His response was, No, we normally don't do that, but we can. Would you like them greased? Hell yes, know I don't have to do it. :)
Your service advisor's honestly is refreshing, but always remember this: "People don't do what you EXPECT...People do what you INSPECT". You should probably tell your service advisor that you WILL check the U-joints later for clean fittings, fresh grease residue, little bit squeezing out of the seals, etc. even if you don't. But, I would check them at least first time and randomly thereafter...you just never know. :eek:

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

· Registered
109 Posts
Your service advisor's honestly is refreshing, but always remember this: "People don't do what you EXPECT...People do what you INSPECT". You should probably tell your service advisor that you WILL check the U-joints later for clean fittings, fresh grease residue, little bit squeezing out of the seals, etc. even if you don't. But, I would check them at least first time and randomly thereafter...you just never know. :eek:
Agree with you there. The service department has a large window which allows customers to watch the techs work on their vehicle. Knew my tech was clueless when he had to call someone else to grease it...

Now to find out how many zerks actually got to see some grease

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

· Registered
51 Posts
Slap me silly, and call me Willy. Went in for a scheduled maintenance at my local dealer, & decided to test my service advisor's knowledge base. I asked him if they ever greased the "U-Joints" when changing the oil. His response was, No, we normally don't do that, but we can. Would you like them greased? Hell yes, know I don't have to do it. :)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I told the stealer to do all of the "driven off road or in dusty conditions" service on my truck at first oil change. The advisor was all "we don't normally do that..."

Always inspect the stealer's work!

· Registered
85 Posts
Reactions: MtnClimber

· Premium Member
147 Posts
Hey I found that spicer pdf that disappeared in an old backup. I had forgotten about this thread. See pages 11-12 (pdf viewer labeled 13-14) for the good stuff

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aym03oqze2keqg8/Spicer DSSM-3264.pdf?dl=0
iroh,

Thanks for the link. However, it just takes me to a Dana/Spicer home-page looking thing. Do I have to have a dropbox account, or a secret code/handshake or some such, to get it to open?

Thanks,

ToyotasForever

· Registered
1,864 Posts
iroh,

Thanks for the link. However, it just takes me to a Dana/Spicer home-page looking thing. Do I have to have a dropbox account, or a secret code/handshake or some such, to get it to open?

Thanks,

ToyotasForever
When I click the link, it brings me to Dropbox, and if you close the window asking you to sign up, behind it is the .pdf. Just start scrolling

· Registered
1,864 Posts
Like this?

Attachments

· Registered
496 Posts
I am going to try a Right Angle Grease fitting tonight...should do the trick

· "Resident Liberal"
13,624 Posts
Lincoln makes good grease guns. Pneumatic and electric.
They used to make decent stuff. I repped them 20 years ago before they let every swinging dick sell their stuff. We mainly did the lube blocks for oiling Natural Gas compressors and the quick lube auto systems for greasing equipment. I made my money selling them for the haul trucks and wheel loaders in the gypsum mines.

Anyway, they came out with the electric system and I had people all over Oklahoma and Texas cussing me for selling it to them.

Then they had the mini electric guns and after a while we wouldn't sell them.

I have an old manual lincoln that is hanging up with mobil 1 NGL1 grease in it. I grease my ujoints whenever I think of it.

Use it on my mower the most.

Reactions: Powertechn2

· Registered
14,311 Posts
They used to make decent stuff. I repped them 20 years ago before they let every swinging dick sell their stuff. We mainly did the lube blocks for oiling Natural Gas compressors and the quick lube auto systems for greasing equipment. I made my money selling them for the haul trucks and wheel loaders in the gypsum mines.

Anyway, they came out with the electric system and I had people all over Oklahoma and Texas cussing me for selling it to them.

Then they had the mini electric guns and after a while we wouldn't sell them.

I have an old manual lincoln that is hanging up with mobil 1 NGL1 grease in it. I grease my ujoints whenever I think of it.

Use it on my mower the most.
Their battery units, and their bucket units were problematic, at least for us. Their pneumatic guns have been the best grease guns I have ever owned, as well as their manual guns. Their pneumatic has outlasted Matco and Snap-on's by over 3 fold time wise. No hiccups, not air cloggs, no stuck valves. They just work, run out of grease, re-fill and purge themselves without issues.

My pneumatic and manual currently both have tx880 in them.

I have also ran Prothane super grease through them without issues. Just only use it when I have to as it is pricey. I needed a dedicated gun for it, and just recently got a manual one specifically for it, but have not used it yet.

· Registered
29 Posts
Ok, one more question

I only found 3 zerk fittings and they were all on the rear driveline

I didn’t see any on the rear or front side of the front driveline

Did I miss something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are pics of the front driveline. I felt around the caps of the u-joints and couldn’t feel or see any zerks

· Registered
14,311 Posts
Man, I’ll have to check again but Im 99% sure I didn’t see or feel any

That pic you posted is of a 2017 Tundra?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The fittings are there on my 17 cm.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.