Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
85 Posts
Spicer recommends 15k miles for Life-series joints. I'm pretty sure those are what we have; the 10-series has the zerk in the middle of the cross and the Life have it in the cap. The factory joints on the Tacoma were 5-1330-1X Life joints and for all I know ours might be the same ones. Both have Spicer drivelines.

Some people don't know but with Spicer u-joints you're supposed to pump grease in until fresh grease comes out of all four trunnion caps. It's messy to clean up but it gets water and other contaminates out and they'll last a lot longer.

They used to list quite a bit of specs for the grease they recommended, i.e. lithium based NGLI Grade 2 with an operating temp range of -10F to +325F and a Timken test load rating of at least 50 pounds. Now their site just says to buy Spicer brand grease or something that's NGLI Grade 2 and ASTM D4950 LB, and as far as I can tell all the old PDFs are gone. Go figure.

Personally on the Tacoma I'd always done the rear driveshaft every oil change and the front driveshaft once in summer. I get on dirt roads from time to time though.

Reactions: Powertechn2

· Registered
85 Posts
Reactions: MtnClimber
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.