Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just curious how often everyone is greasing their u-joints on their driveshafts?.... I have almost 25k on my 2015 4x4 CM. I usually grease up drive-line about every 8-10k miles. I noticed when i take my truck to Toyota for oil changes/services they don't grease the ujoints...AT ALL...EVER. My wife has a 2016 4runner, the dealer doesnt do hers either.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
I purchased my truck with over 30k miles and the u-joints were dry. There is probably an interval in the manual, but I will be checking mine probably every year from now on.

·
Registered
996 Posts
IIRC, they are supposed to grease them with every service interval, so every 5k. My dealer never did mine, either...

·
Registered
14,251 Posts
I grease mine every oil change.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Spicer recommends 15k miles for Life-series joints. I'm pretty sure those are what we have; the 10-series has the zerk in the middle of the cross and the Life have it in the cap. The factory joints on the Tacoma were 5-1330-1X Life joints and for all I know ours might be the same ones. Both have Spicer drivelines.

Some people don't know but with Spicer u-joints you're supposed to pump grease in until fresh grease comes out of all four trunnion caps. It's messy to clean up but it gets water and other contaminates out and they'll last a lot longer.

They used to list quite a bit of specs for the grease they recommended, i.e. lithium based NGLI Grade 2 with an operating temp range of -10F to +325F and a Timken test load rating of at least 50 pounds. Now their site just says to buy Spicer brand grease or something that's NGLI Grade 2 and ASTM D4950 LB, and as far as I can tell all the old PDFs are gone. Go figure.

Personally on the Tacoma I'd always done the rear driveshaft every oil change and the front driveshaft once in summer. I get on dirt roads from time to time though.

Reactions: Powertechn2

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
The Tundra 4x4 has 5 U-Joints and they all have zerks.

Many "dealers" will tell you they do not need service OR they do not have any zerks (zerts); both statements are false.

The back 3 zerks are located on the "outside" edge of the U Joint(s).
The front 2 zerks are located in the "inside" U Joint-joint(X).

In order to find the little buggers, you may have to move the truck or turn the axles a little-bit so you can get to the zerks.

When lubing the zerks, it will also lube the spine(s) in the drive shaft, like at the end of the tranny etc.

My opinion is "every" 10,000 miles, and IMO you can feel the difference in driving afterwards.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Can anyone recommend a good grease gun? My last one leaked badly and i ended up tossing it. But it was a Vatozone purchase.
I got the Milton S-3101 Pistol Grease Gun over off Amazon for about $32.00. I dunno how 'good' it is but for my limited greasing purposes, it works just fine. There are others that cost a lot more but I'm not a professional mechanic. This one primes easy and has an adjustable pump rate. Feels well made and fits the zerks tight.

--Matt

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, at least i see i'm not the only one who cares about ujoints and maintenance. I know Toyota is SUPPOSED to grease the zerks at every oil change, but well.....

I use the synthetic stuff too. So far so good. I pump the ujoints till grease starts seeping out a little, always done it that way since i've worked around big rigs my whole life and thats how we do it on those.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Has anyone used Royal Purple 01312 NLGI No. 2 High Performance Multi-Purpose Synthetic Ultra Performance Grease? I have a 2016 Tundra, and was going to buy some, but when I entered my vehicle info the site said it wasn't a match.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Just curious how often everyone is greasing their u-joints on their driveshafts?.... I have almost 25k on my 2015 4x4 CM. I usually grease up drive-line about every 8-10k miles. I noticed when i take my truck to Toyota for oil changes/services they don't grease the ujoints...AT ALL...EVER. My wife has a 2016 4runner, the dealer doesnt do hers either.
Think about it...if they actually do the lubrication, then they'll never get to charge you money for changing them! :lol5:

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
109 Posts
Slap me silly, and call me Willy. Went in for a scheduled maintenance at my local dealer, & decided to test my service advisor's knowledge base. I asked him if they ever greased the "U-Joints" when changing the oil. His response was, No, we normally don't do that, but we can. Would you like them greased? Hell yes, know I don't have to do it. :)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.