Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else use their truck only for work? Pulling? Hauling? etc?
Bought my truck to work, and work hard. While it's a "nice" truck. I wouldn't have chosen it for a play truck. I just needed something I felt would hold up to daily trailer towing.

Also, anyone else shift to neutral at stop lights?

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
The past couple years I haven't used my truck to do much towing, I hauled my 1984 Ford Bronco 2 home 2 years ago and that was the last real towing my truck has done, I don't really call pulling a 6' x 10' flat bed with a lawnmower on it once in a while towing LOL. Pretty light duty towing mostly is all I've done.

My boss pulls a 7' x 14' cargo trailer around with his 2014 Tundra a lot for work and he doesn't have any issues, he did have a leveling kit installed and larger tires...he also added the firestone airbag kit which automatically levels the truck when a load is placed in the bed, or you hook up a trailer.

As for neutral at stop lights, I do if I'm stopped for longer periods of time. I think it helps to cool the transmission a bit as the engine idles a bit higher when taken out of gear. Heat is a bad thing with automatic transmissions, and even with the transmission cooler, I still try to keep it cooled down as much as possible.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I bought my truck as a work truck. I'm a building contactor, and use my truck for work every day (every day that i work). From hauling and towing tools, equipment, ladders, supplys and lumber, ect.

I leave it in gear... I only shift into neutral when I'm in a drive through, or stopped for a train, and I know I will be stopped for a while.

·
Trans-Immigrant
15,629 Posts
I remember when i went back to Romania as a small child to visit family, it was i think in 88. My uncle had a Dacia station wagon (POS) that was a stick and i'd remember when he was coasting down big hills he'd turn the engine off to save gas and also pretty much everyone turned off their engines at red lights.. albeit that red lights lasted much longer...

thats pretty much what i think of when i heard someone saying the shift to neutral at a red light....

however the other day i was at a RR xing and i put it in park... but thats because we were stopped for about 5 min.

·
Registered
10,631 Posts
I know a fellow that’s now 60 years old and has been driving vehicles with manual transmissions nearly all his life. When he travels on business and has to rent a car it’s almost always equipped with an automatic transmission. When he’s approaching a red light he shifts into neutral and coasts to a stop then drops it into drive when it’s time to go. He’s already admitted to shifting the transmission into reverse a time or two while coasting to a stop. I wonder what affect this has on a transmission !
Just remember:

·
Registered
398 Posts
Shifting into neutral. Not wise. I know we are not talking motorcycles but, during a motorcycle safety course we were told to keep it in gear just In case someone behind us wasn't paying attention. Give it the gas, let out the clutch and your gone. If you have to fumble to put it into gear that's 1/2 of a second you can't spare.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shifting into neutral. Not wise. I know we are not talking motorcycles but, during a motorcycle safety course we were told to keep it in gear just In case someone behind us wasn't paying attention. Give it the gas, let out the clutch and your gone. If you have to fumble to put it into gear that's 1/2 of a second you can't spare.
If the reasoning is just to be able to get away quick. I always have about 6,000 lbs hooked to my truck. There's no getting away quick anyway. Plus, the trailer is a pretty nice buffer between them an me. ;)

·
Registered
817 Posts
why would you shift into N at a stop light or coasting to a stop light ? Thats redonkulus
To cool the auto trans fluid ?
Most valve bodys DO flow in Neutral while others depending on brand do not flow in park

The ONLY time i would shift into N is if it was 100* and im in a giant traffic jam or something .

·
Premium Member
10,631 Posts
I might consider neutral in the winter, truck is really cold and idle is high.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Really the only time my truck gets started is when it is going to be used. Hauling something, towing the utility trailer or the toy hauler and occasionally loaded with bikes and kayak's at the same time. Typically if I drive for pleasure its one of my Mustangs or motorcycles. My daily is a company owned 4 door sedan.

If the light is really long, or I am waiting at a R/R Crossing I will shift into park or neutral.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts