Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Tundra family. I am currently building a twin setup up for my 08 c-max limited.... My plan is limiting boost to 5 psi..with a water to air intercooler setup with ice box...

Question 1. Anyone out there currently running a turbo setup on the 5.7? If so what ECM controller/modifiers are our options.... I have been told to steer clear of Jet...
Question 2. Injectors... Will stocks suffice or do I need to upgrade to TRD s/c injectors.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
96 Posts
5lbs of turbo boost is way different than 5lbs of supercharged boost. So the surcharged flash might now work. You WILL need larger injectors. The duty cycle on stock injectors will be at 100%. Jet won't control anything...

The "best" option is to hardware in a stand alone ecu like Proefi or haltech. But the cost is $4000 easily. Some have had success with unichip, but the tuner has to know what they're doing. You're messing with long term and short term fuel trims when you tune with a piggy back. You're trying to stuff more air and fuel into and out of a motor while trying to make the ecu think nothing has changed. Pretty challenging. Also, you will need a larger fuel pump. More air = more fuel. You can have the biggest injectors in the world and not have enough fuel because the pump isn't sufficient for the application.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
$4000.00 is about $5.00 more than my budget for a ECU :lol5:..... Haaa
Yes sir I already have a fuel pump to bump up the fuel supply with larger supply lines.. I was curious if stock injectors would suffice, but I have heard multiple times they were not enough for the boost I'm looking for... I intend on running a water injection also, so I have quite a few details to work out.. I tow a 36' toy hauler and loaded down its knocking on the 12k#'s door.... Several times been 12.5. Sooooooo moor torque and power would be nice.....

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
$4000.00 is about $5.00 more than my budget for a ECU :lol5:..... Haaa
Yes sir I already have a fuel pump to bump up the fuel supply with larger supply lines.. I was curious if stock injectors would suffice, but I have heard multiple times they were not enough for the boost I'm looking for... I intend on running a water injection also, so I have quite a few details to work out.. I tow a 36' toy hauler and loaded down its knocking on the 12k#'s door.... Several times been 12.5. Sooooooo moor torque and power would be nice.....
I have a turbo set up on my 4.6 made by Chris (Spoolin). Mine is a 4.6 so slightly different than yours but the 5.7 ECU will compensate only for 4lbs of boost. After 4lbs is when you will have to tune your ECU with an AEM FiC or go full standalone. You should upgrade injectors if boostin more than 8lbs but don't boost more than 4psi on factory ECU.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nate, that's great news...maybe that will allow me to move up my install time...

I'm torn between pulling the trigger on a set of JBA v.s. Thorly long tube headers or boosting up right away.... My dilemma is all the Fab either before or after... Gains are huge n/a +40hp & torque gains.... However the mid pipes and my fab has me fumbling for the best bang for the Buc ASAP.... $900.00 roughly for the JBA setup.... I know the DThorly power Y is a much better truck header but there isn't a lot out there that I have found #'s I.e Dyno results for a header/mid pipe setup for the money....
Any way thanks I will continue to post pics as this project progresses...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
JBA have proven to add a huge amount of torque over the Thorleys. About the same on the HP side, but JBA adds about 5 HP more. Good luck with your kit. Give Chris a call, he'll point you in the right direction.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Welcome to TT..
I'd like to see your build. I'm real curious where you are going to locate your twins, what size turbos, how you are going to pipe into them from the headers etc..
Here is a YouTube of my first night out in my CM after my single turbo install. We were checking out the AFR on the low boost.. I had 2 other passengers. The Turbo is a great mod, but it's tricky to dial it in correctly.. I highly recommend the "Valve Body Shift Kit" first. Good Luck..:D

-

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Welcome to TT..
I'd like to see your build. I'm real curious where you are going to locate your twins, what size turbos, how you are going to pipe into them from the headers etc..
Here is a YouTube of my first night out in my CM after my single turbo install. We were checking out the AFR on the low boost.. I had 2 other passengers. The Turbo is a great mod, but it's tricky to dial it in correctly.. I highly recommend the "Valve Body Shift Kit" first. Good Luck..:D

Turbo Tundra Midnight Test Drive! - YouTube

-
X2 on the VB shift kit. I don't have one and it seems like the turbo tears through my transmission. Sounds gross when shifting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts