Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just wondering whats the difference between a turbocharger and a supercharger? i just saw a tacoma with a turbocharger and dont know whats the difference. which one is better?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Both turbochargers and superchargers are called forced induction systems. They compress the air flowing into the engine (see How Car Engines Work for a description of airflow in a normal engine). The advantage of compressing the air is that it lets the engine stuff more air into a cylinder. More air means that more fuel can be stuffed in, too, so you get more power from each explosion in each cylinder. A turbo/supercharged engine produces more power overall than the same engine without the charging.

The typical boost provided by either a turbocharger or a supercharger is 6 to 8 pounds per square inch (psi). Since normal atmospheric pressure is 14.7 psi at sea level, you can see that you are getting about 50-percent more air into the engine. Therefore, you would expect to get 50-percent more power. It's not perfectly efficient, though, so you might get a 30-percent to 40-percent improvement instead.
The key difference between a turbocharger and a supercharger is its power supply. Something has to supply the power to run the air compressor. In a supercharger, there is a belt that connects directly to the engine. It gets its power the same way that the water pump or alternator does. A turbocharger, on the other hand, gets its power from the exhaust stream. The exhaust runs through a turbine, which in turn spins the compressor.

There are tradeoffs in both systems. In theory, a turbocharger is more efficient because it is using the "wasted" energy in the exhaust stream for its power source. On the other hand, a turbocharger causes some amount of back pressure in the exhaust system and tends to provide less boost until the engine is running at higher RPMs. Superchargers are easier to install but tend to be more expensive.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Imagine a twin turbo 5.7 at about 20lbs of boost!

like stated above turbos are exhaust driven and super is belt driven. a turbo has what called "turbo lag" in my old subaru that meant I had no a** untill 3500 rpm. stock boost on my subie was 13 lbs. I have a friend with an eclips running nearly 30 lbs

should we even get into intercoolers?

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Imagine a twin turbo 5.7 at about 20lbs of boost!

like stated above turbos are exhaust driven and super is belt driven. a turbo has what called "turbo lag" in my old subaru that meant I had no a** untill 3500 rpm. stock boost on my subie was 13 lbs. I have a friend with an eclips running nearly 30 lbs

should we even get into intercoolers?

haha lets not go there .. i had the same lag in my built STI .. thing was pushing about 400AWHP and 425 Torque .. thing lagged a bit in first but gave you whiplash when the turbo kicked in .. and once you shifted, you were already at about 3500 RPM's so the power stayed throughout the gears

·
Registered
89 Posts
that STi is sick! and I hate to say it because I'm pretty loyal to subies but I love the evo also. I fell in love with the evo playing Gran Tourismo back in the day.

how about one or two big top mounts IC under the hood of the tundra with a scoop pushing air over it in true subie style

1 - 7 of 7 Posts