Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So went to start the truck this morn, won't fire. Truck cranks and try's to start but won't fire. Towed to dealer, thought it was AIP, turns out it isn't. Dealer is having trouble running scan on the truck. Checked ECM, functions like it should. Dash lights have 4lo flashing, and traction control lit. Mechanic has spent 2 hours chasing out the wiring and can't seem to find a problem. They are thinking the truck is getting shorted out somewhere. They mentioned my subwoofer install but that can't be the cause, it's been running fine for 11 months all hooked up. Any help would be great. I see the dealer telling me this is my fault and not a warranty issue since there are no codes or faults thrown.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,327 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Dealer cannot blame you until there is definitive proof. Right now it's just a scare tactic... stick to it until you get something concrete. Read up on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act, and keep Toyota USA number handy: 1-800-331-4331

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
May sound stupid but did you try another key or did they test your immobilizer? If the immobilizer does not "sense" the rfid/transponder in the key then it will just sit there and crank.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't get a chance to try another key, didnt know about the immobilizer till after it was at the dealership. It exhibits all the symptoms of an AIP failure but truck never went into limp mode. The dealer said they ruled AIP out. They did tell me they couldn't get the scanner to read any code faults, which strikes me odd because the dash shows fault. Everything electrical on the truck works minus the starting/running part. I checked the fuel pump relay, tested good. They are telling me the truck has a short and is grounding itself out causing the failure to run. O and no potato in the exhaust. Lol

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Is there anything that would cause the RFID chip in the key to fail or erase it?

Not really sure but I am sure that the immobilizer would probably take a crap in more instances than the key, just know that what you said your truck is doing is exactly what the truck will do if you try to start it with a key that does not have the code. I have a key like that, it fits the truck, it will unlock doors, but since it does not have the rfid it will not start the truck but the truck will just sit there and crank.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Took the keys to the dealer this morn and talked to the shop foreman who's working on my truck. My key reads fine he said. He switched ECM from another truck, still nothing. The ECM and 4lo ECM aren't talking which is why the 4lo is flashing on the dash. Immobilizer system isn't engaged. The short is causing the fuel system to not fire. The other issue is that the computer isn't showing up 100%. There is no signal to the injectors, plugs or throttle body. The only signal able to be read is from the gas pedal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts