Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The strangest thing keeps happening, the truck will not smoothly coast down a flat/horizontal road anymore. I have a 2007 Tundra DC 4.7L 2WD. This problem is only intermittently and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to when it occurs (slow/ fast, hot/cold, auto/standard mode, full/empty).

Half the time when letting off the gas pedal, it'll coast on a flat road for a few miles without having to hit the gas just like any normal vehicle will. The other half time when this quirk is happening, as soon as you let off the gas pedal, the truck begins to slow down. Its similar to the engine breaking that occurs on a steep hill that engages by tapping the brake pedal, but this quirk is a lot less pronounced.

Its to the point now, when it happens, I switch from the outside air temperature to the instantaneous fuel usage too watch the numbers fall to zero as soon as i'm off the accelerator. When this quirk isnt' affecting the vehicle the instantaneous L / 100km usually hovers around 4-8L /100km when off the gas pedal.

It feels as though the truck is automatically shifting to a lower gear. Could this be caused by too much or too little transmission fluid, vacuum leak, or clogged fuel filter.

I've obviously checked to make sure my brakes aren't dragging, which this definitely feels similar too. I'd say the the instantaneous feel mileage cluster reading 0.0 is the real clue here and I'm hoping someone has run into this before.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, it'll coast when in neutral just fine. No ABS lights.

But interesting you mention the ABS, I have noticed the ABS kicking in much earlier then you would expect in some every day situations.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Computer? I had a chip go bad on my 4Runner, and it caused some intermittent, random behaviors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.