Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just recently traded my tacoma for a tundra and its awesome, love the V8. ive been looking at lifts and with the tacoma lifts even 6inch, spacers in the front and blocks in the rear were looked at as bad for the suspension components, harsh ride, make stuff break etc..

now with the tundra it seems that even the nice lift kits not cheap level's have a spacer up front and blocks in the rear, even if it also comes with aftermarket coilovers shocks etc..

just curious if thats all that is offered for this truck or if because its a full size, it doesnt suffer from the same problems, spacers/blocks giev to the mid size family.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Not sure what lifts you are looking at, but there are plenty of options available to you. Spacers, adjustable struts, bracket lifts of all sorts, coilovers, etc.

Spacers are no worse for a Tacoma than for a tundra. It's not magic, just metal and parts. It all depends on usage. My guess is that tundra guys don't wheel their 6000 lb, 40k dollar trucks the same way a Tacoma guy wheels his lighter, less expensive rig.

Decide what you want your truck to do, put in some research, and come back with questions about set ups you think might work for you and we can help you narrow it down. Lots of good guys on here with tons of knowledge that are willing to help.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
start by telling us your goals.

Are you on a budget and just want your truck to look good?

Do you have wads of cash and you want a badass mall crawler???

Do you want to wheel it hard? If so, what kind of terrain?

You can do any kind of lift you want to a tundra, cheap level, super high, mid-travel, long-travel etc...

·
Registered
715 Posts
There really is a whole bunch of guys on here willing to help and educate people who have less knowledge of the suspension aspect. I know i have asked a whole bunch of questions and the guys have been great to me. Great group of guys on here, they point you in the right path.

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
start by telling us your goals.

Are you on a budget and just want your truck to look good?

Do you have wads of cash and you want a badass mall crawler???

Do you want to wheel it hard? If so, what kind of terrain?

You can do any kind of lift you want to a tundra, cheap level, super high, mid-travel, long-travel etc...

He pretty much summed it up
You have a few options, and I suggest you do it right the first time.

Will start off here

Leveling kit lifts your front 2-3" I'm front and you can use a 1" block in the rear or none at all " with cutting you can run 35" tires

Mid Travel gives you a nice smooth on the pavement ride and handles great off the pavement consists of OEM length to 3" Coilovers "popular choices are King,Icon, and Fox combined with and aftermarket UCA from Camburg, Icon, or Total Chaos. For the rear you'd have King, Icon, Fox rear shocks and Deaver leaf springs.

Long Travel this kit is the Bad Boy of off roading but comes at a premium price Camburg and Total Chaos both make great kits that come with new upper and lower control arms and give you I believe up to 14-16" of wheel travel. The downside is it costs a lot. At minimum you'd have to run Coilovers up front and rear shocks in the back with deavers for what is called single rate long travel. Now if you wanna go all out that's what costs ALOT of coin were talking 20-30k and that's running Coilovers up front with bypass shocks along with undersprung leaf springs in the back coupled with bypass shocks in the rear you will also have to a bedcage made for the bypass shocks or run a cantilever system both which costs some money in fab work. You will also want to run bumpstops if you really wanna go hard or even jump your truck. Then lastly you will need at minimum glass fenders in the front that's a must or else you will destroy your oem fenders. If you run bypasses in the rear and get a bed cage you will need rear glass fenders. If you go this route hit up "Despised on here for best prices"

Lift kits

Lift kits are more for the look granted you can do some mild off roading but can't beat on em like you can mid or long travel. There are various options which you should check out in the thread different suspensions options which is a sticky at the top of this page.

Some great lift kits are the
16" Third Coast Customs kit which is the most expensive looking at 8k minus Coilovers and rear shocks

10-12" Bulletproof Lift $3200 plus 700 for the required atlas leaf springs and goes up to 6k for the whole package with Coilovers and rear shocks

7" BDS lift one with Coilovers and shocks and a kit without them
8" full throttle suspension
6" Pro Comp Stage 1 and 2 stage one doesn't come with Coilovers
5" Zone Lift doesn't come with Coilovers and also has the ability to be upgraded to a 7" lift
4.5" BDS lift which does not come with Coilovers and can also be upgraded to a 7" lift

You also have the 6" Rough Country lift 6" Skyjacker lift

If your 2WD check out CST spindles for lifts that are made for 2WD trucks that can range from 3.5-7"

Basically ALOT of options for lift. But def decide which route you want to go first so you don't end up spending money changing stuff a bunch of times because its not what you thought. If you have any questions let me know.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts