Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Tundra V8 annoying noise

8K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  flighht2k5 
#1 ·
I upgraded from a Tacoma to a Tundra limited last year.. I'm satisfied with the truck except for the annoying low pitched drone that fills the cab every time I accelerate. It does not matter if I'm in city traffic or on the highway, any time I step on the gas the engine labors and produces the same annoying drone sound, even with the radio turned up it overpowers the radio and takes over. I have tried to ignore this , but I don't enjoy driving this truck. I crawled under the truck and checked to make sure that there are no breaks or leaks in the exhaust system. I'm not sure but I believe the exhaust is not properly sized for this engine. I can't believe that I'm the only one that is affected by this. I have never had this problem with any of my other trucks. Has anyone else been able to solve this problem? Different muffler? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated....thanks. Marcontrols

#3 ·
Have you really "stomped" on the gas pedal and gone for the 0-60 in under 6 seconds ride? That sound is awesome!

I don't notice any drone with mine. I would love to hear a video clip of the sound of your truck. Any chance you can load a vid to you tube?

#4 ·
I assume you bought the truck used? Maybe it has an aftermarket muffler like Magnablow or Blowmaster? If so, I'd ditch it asap for something that doesn't rob power and drone.
That was close, I almost shamelessly plugged a certain, great, exhaust brand, phew!
Hint, see my sig.

#10 ·
I think this is it.

I know somewhere, someone who bought my last truck with my custom exhaust is trying to drive on the highway thinking "WTF IS THIS DROOOONNNEEE". Lol >:D>:D:D

That exhaust I made droned like crazy, even without a heavy load. Just normal highway was bad. Add a 1700 lb load, trailer with quad, and it was like turn the radio up and get over 80 or go 55...

Still haven't seen any posts of my last truck unfortunately.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote
#5 ·
My question would be the same. You do not mention if the truck is new/used stock 4.7 or 5.7 or supercharged or not and if it has a after market cat back exhaust system with duels. The stock system does not have a drone sound. The TRD and Borla duel systems use 2.25 in. dia. pipe and have a different tone (most would say pleasant) with no drone. As soon as you change the diameter of the pipe to the 2.5 in. dia. as most all of the other brands run, a drone is introduced. A supercharged 5.7 would benefit from a 2.5 in. dia. system. So, I am guessing that you purchased a used truck that someone replaced the exhaust system with a cat back system with 2.5 dia. pipes and who knows what muffler. If you want stock sound and look find a used set up that someone removed from their truck. Muffler shops will frequently have these. If you want a nice sound and look get a TRD or Borla cat back, they are engineered for the motor and truck, not just a generic system with pipes bent to fit a tundra as most are.

#7 ·
I don't really get a drone but I do have this weird, whining sound when driving mine around town. When I get her opened up on the highway it goes away and really doesn't come back til the next time I start it.

#8 ·
Year, engine size, and mileage are always good and helpful for those trying to help ya out. Is the exhaust stock? Did you buy the truck new or used? In a situation like this, even the cab size and / or bed length is helpful too, because that can change things as well. (Knowing you have a limited does tell me you don't have a long bed).

#12 ·
Whatever drone one may be experiencing, a Dirty Deeds Helmholtz resonator can cure it.
You might look at this resonator and think "no ef'ing way this will work" but it does.

When I bought my 2014 I wanted better exhaust sound.
I had a magnaflow cat back on my 2005 Tundra that barely made a change in the sound.
Come to find out the 2005 had a separate stock resonator on it.

Bought a 2 in 1 out magnaflow for the 2014, and had a local muffler shop install it.
It sounded great until I got on the highway, the 2K RPM drone was fu(king unbearable.

I then found this forum and Keith @dirtydeeds and called him.
He suggested just buying his resonator and see what happened, so I did.
It certainly killed the drone, but made the Magnaflow sound stock.
So he custom made me a 7" bolt on system and I LOVE IT.

The 7" with the Helmholtz res has a tad of drone at 1.5K to 2K RPM (around 60MPH) but that is it.
Go over or under 60MPH and no issues, hell my drive home from work is 70MPH.

#18 ·
I did notice some slight drone with stock at a very narrow RPM/speed range. When I went with the 8" BAM setup minus the resonator, it was very profound. In that very narrow range, sometimes the drone would literally rattle my brain a bit.

The resonator killed all of it. Now the BAM setup just sounds ballsy and refined.

The lesson here is, the OP now knows what he needs to do. :headbanger:

#21 ·
I am experiencing the exact issue. Bought a certified 2017 Limited Crew-max 5.7 (RWD) drive with 48K miles from Toyota dealership . After driving couple of days, noticed when engine is under slight load (driving up hill or accelerating from 30 mph to 40mph ) I hear this annoying deep sound from exhaust/ back of the car. You can actually hear it only when I push gas pedal slightly and goes away when running with less load on engine such as slightly downhill or flat road. It come across as if engine is struggling at under small driving load or exhaust ( original Toyota standard equipment & came in with a Chrome decorative exhaust Tip) is creating this deep sound from muffler. Almost feels like driving with no muffler or leaking muffler. Also, when taking the foot off the gas going at 40-60 MPH , I hear the exhaust sound like Semi-trucks loud Air break when engine is shifting down gear . it feels like I check everything under the car and did not see or find leak. Took it to Toyota deal to have their shop master tech drive it . He said I have had other customers complain about this too and unfortunately is normal. I have had a 2004 3.5L Tundra before and other Passenger cars before buying this one and never experienced this type of loud noise except hearing from those truck /car owners who have altered their exhaust to different type to make them to sound this way. Anyone else has this issue? very annoying and a dissatisfier. I am thinking to go to a Toyota dealer and drive a similar model or yr for sale and see if get the same sound.

#23 ·
I am experiencing the exact issue. Bought a certified 2017 Limited Crew-max 5.7 (RWD) drive with 48K miles from Toyota dealership . After driving couple of days, noticed when engine is under slight load (driving up hill or accelerating from 30 mph to 40mph ) I hear this annoying deep sound from exhaust/ back of the car. You can actually hear it only when I push gas pedal slightly and goes away when running with less load on engine such as slightly downhill or flat road. It come across as if engine is struggling at under small driving load or exhaust ( original Toyota standard equipment & came in with a Chrome decorative exhaust Tip) is creating this deep sound from muffler. Almost feels like driving with no muffler or leaking muffler. Also, when taking the foot off the gas going at 40-60 MPH , I hear the exhaust sound like Semi-trucks loud Air break when engine is shifting down gear . it feels like I check everything under the car and did not see or find leak. Took it to Toyota deal to have their shop master tech drive it . He said I have had other customers complain about this too and unfortunately is normal. I have had a 2004 3.5L Tundra before and other Passenger cars before buying this one and never experienced this type of loud noise except hearing from those truck /car owners who have altered their exhaust to different type to make them to sound this way. Anyone else has this issue? very annoying and a dissatisfier. I am thinking to go to a Toyota dealer and drive a similar model or yr for sale and see if get the same sound.
3.5l?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.