Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I upgraded from a Tacoma to a Tundra limited last year.. I'm satisfied with the truck except for the annoying low pitched drone that fills the cab every time I accelerate. It does not matter if I'm in city traffic or on the highway, any time I step on the gas the engine labors and produces the same annoying drone sound, even with the radio turned up it overpowers the radio and takes over. I have tried to ignore this , but I don't enjoy driving this truck. I crawled under the truck and checked to make sure that there are no breaks or leaks in the exhaust system. I'm not sure but I believe the exhaust is not properly sized for this engine. I can't believe that I'm the only one that is affected by this. I have never had this problem with any of my other trucks. Has anyone else been able to solve this problem? Different muffler? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated....thanks. Marcontrols
I am experiencing the exact issue. Bought a certified 2017 Limited Crew-max 5.7 (RWD) drive with 48K miles from Toyota dealership . After driving couple of days, noticed when engine is under slight load (driving up hill or accelerating from 30 mph to 40mph ) I hear this annoying deep sound from exhaust/ back of the car. You can actually hear it only when I push gas pedal slightly and goes away when running with less load on engine such as slightly downhill or flat road. It come across as if engine is struggling at under small driving load or exhaust ( original Toyota standard equipment & came in with a Chrome decorative exhaust Tip) is creating this deep sound from muffler. Almost feels like driving with no muffler or leaking muffler. Also, when taking the foot off the gas going at 40-60 MPH , I hear the exhaust sound like Semi-trucks loud Air break when engine is shifting down gear . it feels like I check everything under the car and did not see or find leak. Took it to Toyota deal to have their shop master tech drive it . He said I have had other customers complain about this too and unfortunately is normal. I have had a 2004 3.5L Tundra before and other Passenger cars before buying this one and never experienced this type of loud noise except hearing from those truck /car owners who have altered their exhaust to different type to make them to sound this way. Anyone else has this issue? very annoying and a dissatisfier. I am thinking to go to a Toyota dealer and drive a similar model or yr for sale and see if get the same sound.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I am experiencing the exact issue. Bought a certified 2017 Limited Crew-max 5.7 (RWD) drive with 48K miles from Toyota dealership . After driving couple of days, noticed when engine is under slight load (driving up hill or accelerating from 30 mph to 40mph ) I hear this annoying deep sound from exhaust/ back of the car. You can actually hear it only when I push gas pedal slightly and goes away when running with less load on engine such as slightly downhill or flat road. It come across as if engine is struggling at under small driving load or exhaust ( original Toyota standard equipment & came in with a Chrome decorative exhaust Tip) is creating this deep sound from muffler. Almost feels like driving with no muffler or leaking muffler. Also, when taking the foot off the gas going at 40-60 MPH , I hear the exhaust sound like Semi-trucks loud Air break when engine is shifting down gear . it feels like I check everything under the car and did not see or find leak. Took it to Toyota deal to have their shop master tech drive it . He said I have had other customers complain about this too and unfortunately is normal. I have had a 2004 3.5L Tundra before and other Passenger cars before buying this one and never experienced this type of loud noise except hearing from those truck /car owners who have altered their exhaust to different type to make them to sound this way. Anyone else has this issue? very annoying and a dissatisfier. I am thinking to go to a Toyota dealer and drive a similar model or yr for sale and see if get the same sound.
3.5l?

21 - 23 of 23 Posts