Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last update: 5/9/18

Current look:

My family expedition rig is based on 2016 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro. Over last two years I've been gradually adding components that made sense for our way of travel. It was used on our 9500 mile trip to Alaska last year and to Canada this summer.

Components and mods:
  • Stock TRD Pro / Bilstein Shocks
  • BFG KO2 275/70/R18
  • SDHQ Rock Sliders
  • RhinoRack Pioneer Platform 60x54
  • RhinoRack HiLift Mount
  • RhinoRack Rotopax mount
  • RhinoRack Aerial Bracket (for antenna)
  • ARE CX HD Shell
  • BedRug
  • Kenwood v71a radio
  • sPOD SE Touch
  • Tepui Autana XL Tent
  • RhinoRack Foxwing 2.1 Awgning
  • SDHQ Hidden Winch Mount
  • SmittyBilt X20 Synthetic 12k Winch
  • OME Dakar 2.5" leaf springs + OME Shackles + Poly Bushings and ABS/Brake Line extension + D28XL AAL
  • 2 CB shims each side.
  • Icon Delta Joint Tubular UCA
  • RCI Aluminum Transfer Case Skid Plate
  • RCI Steel 38gal Gas Tank Skid Plate
Other stuff:
  • 60" HiLift Jack
  • Rotopax for gas and water
  • MaxSa recovery panels / traction mats
  • ViAir Compressor
  • ARB Patch kit
  • GoalZero Yeti 400 Power Station
  • GoalZero Boulder 50 Solar Panel
Pictures below are outdated =)

I've designed and built custom bed rack, the one that would let me keep the tonneau cover. To save weight I used 2" square 1/8" wall aluminum tubes (1"x2"x1/8" for rails that go on the sides of the bed). Here's a link for CAD drawing that you can use to replicate it. Please double check all dimensions to make sure that it matches your truck.
http://a360.co/2wX41KT
Few pictures of rack:

Next on todo list:
  • Camping lights (side and back)
  • Rock lights
  • Dual Battery setup
  • Wife keeps complaining that wheels look to small, so will have to do something with hem )
I'm open for questions and comments!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Maybe a dumb question, but... How is the bed rack secured to the bed? Does it go through the bed rail holes somehow?

2016 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro CM MGM

IG: @kt_harb.protundra

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe a dumb question, but... How is the bed rack secured to the bed? Does it go through the bed rail holes somehow?

That's a valid question.

I used two sets of these stake pocket mounts - https://www.magnummfginc.com/shop/truck-rack-accessories/stake-pocket-tie-downs-pair
You have to cut holes in platic trim that goes over bed sides in place where stake pockets are. Then drop these mounts in and secure them with a bolt from inside the bed. I also drilled 4 holes in bed rack bottom rails to connect it to stake pocket mounts.

P.S.
The mounts that I've actually received are different from what's on seller picture. It's basically a 1x1" aluminum tube with a welded cap on one side and two rivet nuts in it.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Thanks for the response. This is also good info. I hope to get a rack just like this made.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The best PRO build I have seen. So many ding dongs ruin these nice vehicles, you have made it a portal to big fun.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sweet Build! Just started following your IG

Reactions: geekrig

·
Registered
4 Posts
Love the look of this truck. The bed rack is exactly what I am looking for. Checking measurements now. Hopefully have something very similar made in the next month!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Installed SDHQ rock sliders. Great quality fabrication. The biggest challenge during the installation was to move the gas tank around to get access to mount point on driver side frame. I'd recommend having less than a 1/4 tank of gas if you ever have to install these.

But the reward - great body protection and two huge jack areas on the sides of the truck =)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts