Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will be needing tires on my 2020 tundra. Drive 25-30,000 year, 80/20 highway driving getting to hunting, fishing, skiing, kayaking, etc…areas. Off-road is generally mild, limited to to logging/forest service roads and gravel. Winter travel to NH, Colorado, as well as year round travel to Arizona. I have had wrangler adventures in the past, not unhappy with them but there are a lot of new options. Suggestions? 3 peak would be preferable

·
Registered
13,899 Posts
I had Nitto Exo Grapps installed the day after I bought my 17 as they are a snowflake rated tire, and I was sick of dealing with bfg's that start rotting and cracking in a few years for no reason.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I’ve run a few set of coopers with good to excellent results. On my second set of AT3’s - one set of XLT’s and the current set of LT’s. They are almost perfect in my book. Quiet, smooth, excellent all weather traction including crummy winter roads, pretty decent off pavement, great on gravel and logging roads, durable, great handling, predictable behavior dry and wet, take a load very well, and decent mileage. They would have made it to the 55k or 60k mileage warranty but I don’t run my tires down to 2/32”. Tried a set of the new Toyo AT3’s between and swapped them after 3 weeks for too much of a buzz noise

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ve run a few set of coopers with good to excellent results. On my second set of AT3’s - one set of XLT’s and the current set of LT’s. They are almost perfect in my book. Quiet, smooth, excellent all weather traction including crummy winter roads, pretty decent off pavement, great on gravel and logging roads, durable, great handling, predictable behavior dry and wet, take a load very well, and decent mileage. They would have made it to the 55k or 60k mileage warranty but I don’t run my tires down to 2/32”. Tried a set of the new Toyo AT3’s between and swapped them after 3 weeks for too much of a buzz noise
How do the LTs handle highway speeds, 75-80? What kind of mileage do you get? I know there will be a hit if I go to LTs, i am guessing 1-2 mpg

·
Registered
834 Posts
They handle highway speeds very well, IMO. The XLT’s were probably the quietest tire I’ve had on the truck and were super smooth. My truck sees a fair amount of 80 mph freeway. The LT’s are a touch noisier and didn’t balance out right, but they told me that after I had jumped in the truck to go to an appointment after the tire store. I also switched tire shops to a contributor on the forum and am regretting it. That aside, I think they are a great tire. They also come in a p rated (AT3 4S) if you don’t want to jump to the heavier LT or XLT (same tire, different sidewall on the LT and XLT). I did drop about 1 mpg, but I also never unload my tools and gear anymore. And I decided to ditch my tonneau in favor of a camper shell. So 800 lbs or so constantly in the truck now. The XLT’s were more of a hit but they were 33’s instead of the stock 32’s.

Reactions: Mike61

·
Registered
263 Posts
My preference is Michelin all the way. They are smooth, quiet, stay in balance, wear nice and even. My son has a set of BFG KO2 on his Forerunner and they are the nicest offroad type of tire I have ever seen. Smooth and mostly quiet on the highway, great offroad capability, wear even and stay in balance, very nice tires.

·
Registered
89 Posts
When the boys were driving my trucks, suburban etc, I ran Michelin LTX's. Perfect in rain, light snow and ice in Texas. Great grip when they were pulling friends out of ditches.

Michelin jacked up the prices in response to popularity in 2010's. I switched to Cooper HT Plus' s. Savings of $60 over LTX's with same performance. Only difference I could see was in light rain.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts