Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I rearended a Ferd Ranger this morning on the way to work. My fault... head was in ass. It was a very low impact hit as I was stopped and then pulled forward and hit her. Her trailer hitch (empty) stopped me.... she had almost no damage. The plastic on her bumper had some scrapes.

Look at the friggin damage to the Tundra!!!!! I'm thinking I'm going to need to replace both of the support brackets and potentially the support beam.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Motor vehicle

Vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Car Automotive tire

Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Auto part Vehicle door

YES... that's the bumper support poking through the friggin HOLE in my bumper.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Automotive exterior Vehicle

I was considering buying up the parts to do a color matched front bumper but I'm not sure that's the way I want to go or not.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
That's from a full stop.. wow.. must of punched in the gas...

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Still shitty no matter what, maybe its just a special push for you to upgrade..

·
Registered
577 Posts
$4,800 of crumpled!

what you can't see.. the driver side headlight is cracked. the brackets that attach the hood are bent, the driver side wheel well fender is buckled.

the car I hit only had $600 in damages - a couple scratches.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Sucks at what happened...

I have said all along that the factory bumpers are WOEFULLY inadequate. I noticed this when I upgraded my bumpers with Expedition One bumpers...

The bumpers are just a hair thicker in gauge than that of sheet metal. The beefiest part of the front is an aluminum cross brace while the back is the tow hitch mount. Yikes! These are designed to crumple upon impact, no matter how fast...

Regards,

BWJ

·
Registered
214 Posts
My 2001 bumper weighed 36 lbs. I needed to have it repainted due to poor Toyota quality of the bumper paint. I got some estimates in 2012 to have it painted. The quotes averaged about $250.00 and that was if I took it off for the paint shop. I found new chrome bumpers on Ebay for $150 shipped and said "what the heck." I received the new chrome bumper in July 2012 for $150 shipped from Taiwan (probably using US Steel). Anyway 11 years after my new 2001 bumper, the 2012 bumper weighs exactly 36 lbs. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Dang Cody! Sorry to see that happen to ya!

If you want to buy my bumper and brush guard, I could use a Buckstop bumper!

Also, if you need some help diagnosing/replacing, I am free this weekend.

-rockstate

·
Registered
90 Posts
I attempted to stop but just not on time and this is what happened to mine and I hit a minivan which broke their taillight and lower bumper dented
Lol and a piece of their tail light on top of the 3 slots (forgot what is called something with a v though..)

·
Banned
1,853 Posts
You guys shoulda done this stuff a couple years ago, then made Toyota cut you a check...cuz you know, "unintended acceleration" :lol5:

What's your total cost looking like? Ever considered an aftermarket Heavy Duty bumper? If I crashed my front end, that's sure as heck what I'd do....

·
Registered
663 Posts
Time to upgrade to a big ass aftermarket bumper!

But in all honesty, they are making the bumpers thinner and lighter to save weight and cost - and face it, even a small bump has ALOT of weight behind it.. metal is going to bend.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts