Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Tundra squat solution

22K views 49 replies 23 participants last post by  H2O MAN 
#1 ·
We want to tow a travel trailer again, but I'm use to towing with an HD truck and not worrying about squat. The TRD Pro, because of the lift and weaker rear leaf springs, is predisposed to squatting when loaded.
As a former member of an F150 forum, I had read a lot of good things about Roadmaster Active Suspension (RAS), a product that solves the squatting issue, and does not change the ride of the truck. I knew that this mod would be perfect for a Tundra, especially my TRD Pro.

So today I called Roadmaster, and spoke to Nolan regarding a group buy for TT forum members; he's on board. Awesome. I'm going to buy RAS, and if you're interested call Nolan at 1-800-398-5036.
Roadmaster Active Suspension Kits | Helper Springs | Overload Springs
Not familiar with this product? Check this thread...

Roadmaster Active Suspension (RAS) install and review (long post - pic heavy) - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

I will be posting a review with photos much like the one above.

#3 ·
Yes, I think so. The same question was asked in the F150 thread link in my posting, check the answer there from Nolan or call Nolan. Thanks.

Reactions: Dixon Cider
#4 ·
If I didn't spring for bags I would be all over this.

#6 ·
I was at the DC Convention Center this weekend for the annual auto show...

Toyota had a TRD Pro CM with a 4-wheeler in the back and it was squatting down a bit more than I liked...I was disappointed in how it looked. I think Toyota meant well with the display but it looked bad to me.

Payload is too light on the Tundras...if they don't ever make a 3/4 ton, fine, BUT Toyota needs to figure out how to increase the payload.

#7 ·
You can have payload, or a car like ride, can't have both. Truck manufacturers across the board keep trying to build trucks to ride like cars, they've succeeded in that, however you can't haul or tow anything without bottoming out LOL.

A weight distribution hitch, and air bags seem to be the common fixes. Some of the airbag systems they have are pretty nice, the setup my boss has the airbags sense a load and automatically inflate, they deflate when the load is removed. Pretty cool setup.

#36 ·
Willbill,

I agree and understand that ride and payload are competing characteristics and by no means am I an engineer.

However, my '05 2500 Duramax rode as good or better than my 14 Tundra...therefore, I don't see why there isn't enough "room" to improve the Tundra's payload by 500lbs or so and not negatively impact the ride quality.

Cheers,

Frank

#10 ·
The group price on the F150 forum was about $354 + shipping. Go to the F150forum.com and search for "axle wrap Roadmaster Active Suspension." The thread is 50 pages of positive and very interesting comments.

#19 ·
Install RAS and be done

This statement should read "do Roadmaster active suspension and be done with it." With RAS you make the initial adjustment at the time of install and that's it. With Air Bags pressure adjustments must be maintained according to the load. An air compressor is needed, onboard or otherwise, and while you're on the road if an airbag fails, vehicle control is compromised. No thanks. The positives of RAS far outweigh the negatives...of which I've found none! Let's roll.

Reactions: ColoradoTJ
#13 ·
Welcome

You're very welcome. The feedback on this product from the F150 forum is incredible, over 250 sets were sold over there with nothing but great reviews. The installation is really easy and IMO, worth every cent.

#17 ·
Sweat camper.

#18 ·
Thanks 1969 Avion T-28. It was my wife's grandparent's been sitting covered for at least the past 10 years. It was given to us so I can't complain. I'm in the process of cleaning it up and updating lights and getting it functional. It's still at my in laws I never hooked onto it yet. I have a rv cover at my house but no power out there yet. Previous owner had indoor romex running through the trees 230' to the shed.

#20 · (Edited)
It has been some time since I posted on the Tundratalk.net forum, but after a great conversation with DBL TAP about the new Tundras and TRD's more specifically I figured I might answer questions a few of you have had.

Will it work with Air Bags?
This is question that is fairly common for us. It depends on the type of air bag and how they are set up. Air bags that are set up inboard of the leaf springs typically allow more clearance for our brackets. We often get truck owners with air bags already installed that 1) wish to keep the pressure in the bags at a lower, constant, more manageable level. For instance, you can keep the PSI at a constant manageable 30lbs while simultaneously allowing the Roadmaster Active Suspension to provide that additional load support. 2) are also looking for the sway and more specific body roll benefits of the RAS setup.

How is offroading effected?
The RAS generally responds well in offroading situations such as trail riding. All high quality American Made steel, all mechanical so no worrying about busting lines. We do discourage against any situation that involves extreme leaf spring articulation.

How much do kits sell for?
The Tundra kit typically sell for a $449 retail on most online stores, with an easy 1 hour DIY installation. Feel free to give me a call, as DBL TAP alluded to I'd be happy to get you guys in at a $354+shipping special.

I can tell you from also dealing with so many of the guys on the F150forums and F150 owners in general, manufacturers designing pickups with softer suspension is the new norm. After installing the kit, I get guys telling me all the time they wish they would of know about the RAS sooner.

#22 · (Edited)
Though we haven't decided on an ultralite TT yet, but because of all the positive reviews on the Roadmaster Active Suspension system, I want to get the RAS on my truck sooner than later and experience the WOW factor myself. Back in the day we used traction bars on our muscle cars (1968 Roadrunner); this TDR Pro will/should put down the power and handle a lot better in the corners with RAS. I'm stoked! Thanks Nolan for checking in with Tundra Talk.

#26 ·
RAS adjustment

Hi Jeremyd: I appreciate you sharing your actual experience with A/Bags. In regards to the RAS adjustment question - here's a typical response from a Ford forum, Quote:

"Ordered a Roadmaster Active Suspension for the '13 F150 SCREW. Was very easy to install. Hardest part was getting the truck up in the air, putting jack stands underneath it and having the stands high enough for the suspension to drop. Only had 2 nuts to tighten on the u-bolts when connecting to the present leaf springs. After that, all I had to do was tighten the spring nut so either 1 of 2 disks supplied with the kit, slips in between the spring coils.

Raised the truck by about 1/4 inch and eliminated the 2" sag I had when hooked to the 5th wheel. Still have a smooth ride with and without the 5th wheel hooked up. Also eliminated the axle wrap and shudder I experienced when taking off from a standstill. It also adds an additional 2500 lb capacity to truck. Easy project for any shade tree mechanic." Unquote.

The RAS is passive and active when the truck is loaded, but the stability is always there without stiffing the ride. Pretty cool. I'm attaching a photo of a guy inserting a quarter (2mm) between the coils during the install. If after the install a change is preferred, the truck must be lifted onto safety stands so the springs are unloaded and the adjustment is made.

So that's it. A Google search will pull up a lot of outstanding reviews on this setup.

Attachments

Reactions: tundra-driver
#27 ·
Hi Jeremyd: I appreciate you sharing your actual experience with A/Bags. In regards to the RAS adjustment question - here's a typical response from a Ford forum, Quote:

"Ordered a Roadmaster Active Suspension for the '13 F150 SCREW. Was very easy to install. Hardest part was getting the truck up in the air, putting jack stands underneath it and having the stands high enough for the suspension to drop. Only had 2 nuts to tighten on the u-bolts when connecting to the present leaf springs. After that, all I had to do was tighten the spring nut so either 1 of 2 disks supplied with the kit, slips in between the spring coils.

Raised the truck by about 1/4 inch and eliminated the 2" sag I had when hooked to the 5th wheel. Still have a smooth ride with and without the 5th wheel hooked up. Also eliminated the axle wrap and shudder I experienced when taking off from a standstill. It also adds an additional 2500 lb capacity to truck. Easy project for any shade tree mechanic." Unquote.

The RAS is passive and active when the truck is loaded, but the stability is always there without stiffing the ride. Pretty cool. I'm attaching a photo of a guy inserting a quarter (2mm) between the coils during the install. If after the install a change is preferred, the truck must be lifted onto safety stands so the springs are unloaded and the adjustment is made.

So that's it. A Google search will pull up a lot of outstanding reviews on this setup.
Alright, I definitely agree it will help with axle wrap it's just like old school traction bars..Keeping in mind that as far as I know newer Tundras don't have axle wrap issues. But the height adjustment will certainly be an issue if you want it perfectly level depending on the weight you are carrying at the time. You simply add air with a 12 volt bicycle compressor. 10 psi will easily raise my rear 2 inches.. As far as leaks go, I have never had any. The air lines are routed above the angle iron of the frame along with the other wiring completely out of the way. Anyways if you don't mind spending 350 bucks twice then I say go for it. I'm still looking for that money tree in my backyard...It's definitely good info on both types for people on this board.;)

#28 · (Edited)
Being in the industry and talking to shop owners all across the country, the air bags set ups are generally a solid product. I know for a fact that has worked well for many people, that's fine!:beerchug: Many never have issues, however, from getting feedback from shop owners installers etc, having leakages/ failures is definitely not unheard of. (some now actually shy away from selling/installing because of previous experiences)

All that aside, from a strictly load leveling performance standpoint, the air bag setup with on-board compressor is a pretty neat set up. As long as you prepared to spend $1100-$1800 for complete set and install at a shop.(unless you have the time, patience and ability to do it yourself) Without that on board compressor, the inconvenience factor creates buyers remorse for many.

Improved loaded and unloaded ride quality, stability and handling are the RAS' best attributes. It's what really differentiates us from typical overload type springs, the feel and outcome is just completely different. Greatly improved safety and stability on passenger vans is the reason Salvation Army and major church insurance companies have tested and require or recommend the RAS. Eyeing it or even watching a video, I could see why somebody might believe that the RAS could only negatively affect ride quality. The more down force or weight applied to each spring, the more the RAS responds. This is why it's set it and forget it, no readjustment needed.

From the outside looking in, I understand skepticism of new(ish) or different products(hell, I was skeptical when they first came out with those funny looking touchscreen phones:D). At the end of the day, it's really one of those things that just works.

Good luck to everybody looking for some sort of suspension help!

#30 ·
Being in the industry and talking to shop owners all across the country, the air bags set ups are generally a solid product. I know for a fact that has worked well for many people, that's fine!:beerchug: Many never have issues, however, from getting feedback from shop owners installers etc, having leakages/ failures is definitely not unheard of. (some now actually shy away from selling/installing because of previous experiences)

All that aside, from a strictly load leveling performance standpoint, the air bag setup with on-board compressor is a pretty neat set up. As long as you prepared to spend $1100-$1800 for complete set and install at a shop.(unless you have the time, patience and ability to do it yourself) Without that on board compressor, the inconvenience factor creates buyers remorse for many.

Improved loaded and unloaded ride quality, stability and handling are the RAS' best attributes. It's what really differentiates us from typical overload type springs, the feel and outcome is just completely different. Greatly improved safety and stability on passenger vans is the reason Salvation Army and major church insurance companies have tested and require or recommend the RAS. Eyeing it or even watching a video, I could see why somebody might believe that the RAS could only negatively affect ride quality. The more down force or weight applied to each spring, the more the RAS responds. This is why it's set it and forget it, no readjustment needed.

From the outside looking in, I understand skepticism of new(ish) or different products(hell, I was skeptical when they first came out with those funny looking touchscreen phones:D). At the end of the day, it's really one of those things that just works.

Good luck to everybody looking for some sort of suspension help![/QUOTE

Whoa ! back up, 1100-1800 dollars ??? Air bags for a Tundra are approx 350 bucks and an 8th grader could install them...I will say it again, The Active Suspension System is nothing more than a Overload Spring with two ubolts. Yes it will help with axle wrap but common sense here tells me that if you tighten down on the adjusting nuts it will indeed change the stiffness in the rear. But don't believe me even though I had an overload spring installed back in the day..Good luck..

#33 ·
Honestly I tow with my truck and I have the following setup

Airlift Bags w Daystar Cradles and Dakar (OME) leafs.... and I have 0 issues and I have full suspension travel thanks to the cradles.

#39 ·
Air bags do work

I've got a buddy with a '05 GMC 2500 HD, and airbags were his solution for a sagging rear end when hooked up to his 30' TT. AIRBAGS do have their place, and from the looks of your photo, they work well for you. Outstanding!

#40 ·
Toyota ought to have a solution for this very real issue. A towing package, integrated controller, but not really a practical tow vehicle as stock? Our 07 drove better with a light tow (say 3500#) than unladen.

Reactions: DBL TAP
#41 ·
Toyota bean counter conversation: "Springs! We don't need no stinking springs." So we, the loyal consumer, provide our own spring solution, drivers side grab handle, rear seat storage, power amp for sound, and mechanical LSD. YIKES!

#42 ·
Would this help with bed bounce?

Reactions: Alex Kingery
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.